ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson: 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

kyle h

Buff Heisman
Feb 3, 2005
I truly hope you had a restful weekend. We're gearing up for Week 2 of CUSportsNation.com. This week's version of 10 thoughts from the weekend opens with a review of ESPN'S 30 for 30 Gospel According to MAC, hits on the Colorado Football Pencil in Depth Chart, top user posts, and also highlights some outstanding Colorado Athletes making some national headlines. Enjoy!

1. Gospel According to Mac
vkwefriorsmxavtebh7k

During the later part of the week I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 Film - The Gospel According to MAC. I was glued from the get-go, fascinated with several points, and wanted to put together a quick review for this weekend’s Top 10. As you know the Film is Directed by Jim Podhoretz and centers on former Colorado Head Football Coach Bill McCartney who coached the Buffs from 1982-1994 winning the 1990 National Championship.

****Spoiler Alert******

The film paints the picture of McCartney a successful High School Coach in Michigan who struggled with alcohol, hired to Coach Football at Michigan, then turned devote Evangelical Christian who landed the Head Colorado Football Job in June of 1982. His unorthodox way of recruiting helped him land some of California’s top ranked recruits.

On example which stood out was when he showed up at the home of a prized California Prospect, he told the recruit that he wanted to spend the first two hours with his mom. McCartney then went on to read the bible with the mother, thus winning her over, which translated to big time football recruits heading to Boulder. The film then highlights the issues some of these inner city black football players had living in Boulder, a city which at the time had little or no black student population.

Several black student athletes were continually highlighted in a negative light from fights at parties to other off the field issues. In the first three seasons under McCartney the Buffs won just 7 games. During the 1985 season, Colorado reached the Freedom Bowl, but they took their first big step under McCartney during the 1986 season when they beat rival Nebraska for the first time since 1967 20-10.

The following year in 1987 Sal Aunese from Oceanside, California took over at quarterback leading the Buffs to another winning season going 7-4, that year Aunese was named the Big 8 Newcomer of the Year, the Buffs continued to make progress both in winning games and in recruiting. Fast forward to the 1989 season Aunese was diagnosed with a rare stomach cancer and given just 6 months to live, he passed away on September 23, 1989.

The team dedicated the season to Aunese and reached the Orange Bowl game going 11-1 only to be beaten by Notre Dame 21-6. The following year the Buffs got the job done winning their first ever National Title Game defeating Notre Dame 10-9.

*****End Spoiler Alert**********

There were a few times during the film that caught me off guard emotionally and a few words from Coach MAC that stayed with me.

“The measure of a man are his words. Are they true. You're got to back up your words.”

“We can sell Boulder over Lincoln if we can get them to Boulder.”

“You have to had lost a bet to want to go to Lincoln or Nebraska”

“You have to stay the course in life, you must remain on course.”

2. Pencil In Depth Chart

Recently CU Athletics released a “Pencil In” Football Depth Chart for the upcoming 2016 season. While fall camp is still weeks away, there are some interesting take aways from the depth chart.

(Click this link to view the Depth Chart)
http://res-5.cloudinary.com/rivals/image/upload/t_large/kz0kf57a5cjusr3eeyob

Offensive Breakdown

Starting at the Quarterback Position Senior Jordan Gehrke is at the No. 1 spot followed by Redshirt Freshmen Steven Montez. Where is Senior Sefo Liufau? He’s listed under a portion of the depth chart “Injured”. While there has been constant speculation on whether or not Liufau will be at full health this season, we’re just weeks away from finding out his true status, so this subject continues to be up in the air.

The Running Back depth chart has Tailback Phillip Lindsay (653-yards in 2015) and Junior Donovan Lee (286-yards in 2015) at the 1 and 2 spots. Those two are followed by Junior Michael Adkins II and Kyle Evans. Clearly what standout looking at the running backs is the fact that Patrick Carr is no longer on the team, however there are some very capable incoming players that should be able to fill Carr’s void.

The X position at receiver has Junior Bryce Bobo (24 receptions for 207-yards in 2015)as the No. 1 followed by JC transfer Kabion Ento. The Z position at receiver has Shay Fields (42 receptions for 598-yards in 2015) as the No 1 followed by Sophomore Lee Walker. The Depth Chart again does not list most incoming players such as JC Transfer Juwann Winfree along with a few other talented signees that could make a push to get reps in their incoming season.

At Tight End Senior Sean Irwin (15 receptions for 248-yards in 2015) is projected to start obviously, followed by Junior George Fraizer, then Sophomore Dylan Keeney. Knowing the skill of each of the three, this is a unit you have to be excited about from a Buff Fan’s Perspective.

Moving to the Offensive Line the Left Tackle projected No. 1 is Jeromy Irwin at 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, at Left Guard is Gerrad Kough at 6-foot-4, 295 pounds, at Center is Alex Kelley at 6-foot-2, 310 pounds, Right Guard Tim Lynott a Redshirt Freshmen at 6-foot-3, 305 pounds, and lastly at Right Tackle listed as the projected No. 1 is Junior Sam Kronshage at 6-foot-6, 295 pounds.

Defensive Breakdown

The Defensive Front as of early July looks to be led by Defensive Ends Jordan Carrell (52 tackles in 2015) at 6-foot-3, 295 pounds along with Junior Leo Jackson III (33 tackles in 2015) at 6-foot-3, 275 pounds. Each Carrell and Jackson bring a wealth of experience back into the 2016 season, then throw in Defensive Tackle Josh Tupou at 6-foot-3, 325 pounds the Buffs’ front three should be much improved from last season.

At Outside Linebacker penciled in as the No. 1 is Derek McCartney (70 tackles in 2015) a 6-foot-3, 250 pound Junior, followed by Sophomore Terran Hasselbach. Inside Backer is Kenneth Olugbode (80 tackles in 2015) who will be a Senior, at Mike Backer is Addison Gillam who is a 6-foot-3, 230 pound Junior, the additional projected outside linebacker to start is Jimmie Gilbert (47 tackles in 2015) a 6-foot-5, 235 pound Senior.

Colorado’s defense is experienced throughout, especially in the secondary where Chidobe Awuize (90 tackles in 2015) at Cornerback and Isaiah Oliver are slated as starters. Awuize is one of the best defensive secondary players in the PAC 12. At the Strong Safety position is another PAC 12 standout in Tedric Thompson (3 interceptions in 2015) and at Free Safety is Ryan Moeller a 6-foot-1, 210 pound junior.

Special Teams

At Placekicker is Senior Diego Gonzalez who was a perfect 35 for 35 in PAT’s last year. At punter is Alex Kinney a 6-foot-1, 210 pound sophomore who starters in 2015. The Holder projected is 6-foot-6, 205 pound Robert Orban, the Long Snapper is Redshirt Freshmen J.T. Bale, returning punts is Jay MacIntyre, and returning kickoffs the chart has Phillip Lindsay listed as No. 1

Status TBA

N.J Falo - 6-foot-2, 225 Pound, Outside Linebacker, Sophomore
Dino Gordon, 5-foot-11, 200 Pound, Tailback, Redshirt Freshmen
Samson Kafowalu, 6-foot-4, 285 Pound, Defensive Linemen, Senior

2016 Team Captains

George Fraizer - TE/HM
Jeromy Irwin - OL
Phillip Lindsay - TB
See Liufau - QB
Kenneth Olugbode - LB

3. Your Grade For The Colorado Quarterbacks: C
50.6% of the Buff Nation Message Board graded Colorado a “C” going into the season. Outside of Returning Starter Sefo Liufau the Buffs have few quarterbacks that have game experience. The Buffs also have two redshirt freshmen, one signee, and two walk ons on the roster. If Liufau cannot remain healthy the Buffs obviously could be in some serious trouble. Gehrke did shine during the 2016 Spring Game going 10-12 passing for 126-yards and 2 touchdowns. While Steven Montez struggled during the spring, it’s clear that he has the tools to eventually step up and lead the Buffs in the future. Is Montez ready to lead this year? That is an interesting storyline all on it’s own.

4. Your Grade For The Colorado Running Backs: B
Earlier this week I asked the Buff Nation Message Board to grade the Colorado Running Backs that are currently listed on the depth chart. 46.7 % voted B, while 41.7 % voted C. I feel that if Patrick Carr is still on the roster the it’s a B grade no question, but with his departure from the team, you are now looking at a grade of a B- to C+ in my opinion. Phillip Lindsay should be a good all purpose back, hard to gauge Michael Adkins II until the Buffs really get going, but he did look impressive at times during the spring game, and it’s easy to be excited about Donovan Lee along with incoming running back Beau Bisharat. With that said, do the Buffs really have a big time threat or a true featured back? Do they have someone on the roster that can just take over a game? I think in each of those questions the answer is no.

5. Coach tweets

6. What is Colorado’s must win game in 2016
Besides the obvious beating Colorado State: Colorado’s must win game this season is Arizona State. While every conference game is important beating the Sundevils could be a game that stands in their way of being bowl eligible. Colorado should beat Colorado State, Idaho State, Oregon State, Washington, and UTAH. Beating Arizona State is something Colorado has never done, in-fact they are 0-7 all time against Arizona State. This year the two teams meet in Boulder on October 15th right after the Buffs return from USC. Leap frogging a conference foe who beat them last year 48-23 would turn heads and prove that the Rise is Real in Colorado under Head Coach Mike MacIntyre.

7. Top User Posts

@ybul
Based on history, depth and the lot a C grade is the best one could give the QB(s) as a group. Sefo, when injured has not played well. He has shown glimpses, but needs to put together a whole season. I hope he does it and we give him an A grade at the end of the season. Though today, all one can do is look at history and while he has had to deal with a line that let defenders faster than a sieve lets water through.

One can deliberate this that or the other til the cows come home. however, at the end of the day, we need the season to get here and see what we have and where we go. Hopefully to the moon, Alice, but until we play ALL of the games who knows. We have immense potential, however, until the games are played who the f knows

@BuffaLaw8487
. . . when it happens, don't tease it guys. Just tell us.
That was your mulligan fellas. No harm no foul.
Now I'm off to the doctor . . . .

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Ntqo1LGbEfE/Sx3_rQZNWYI/AAAAAAAAA2c/BkQCeDDz5F4/joey.blueballs_thumb[3].jpg?imgmax=800

@dannyy
Our coaching staff has got to be ecstatic with the commits we have in early July. Looking at our list compared to some of these schools lets me know our staff is putting in a solid effort on the trail. A couple of big dog linemen committing soon would be awesome!

@buffnik
(Colorado) Flagship university for the state, so it's important that the state is represented on the CU roster.
It should be CA #1, TX #2 and CO #3 in terms of the whole roster. But there could be years where in-state signees number fewer than one or two out of UT, AZ, LA, FL or GA. The walk-on program is very important for in-state and we don't talk about that enough. Finding those guys like Joel Klatt, Jeff Smart and Ryan Moeller is a big deal.

@dart5555
(Welcome Brie Thomas) We look forward to you joining the family. Hope you can bring an excellent, and professional, perspective to CU football and basketball!

@DBBUFF
(If there was one game this season that you predict could make or break the season, which do you think it is and why?)
Hmmm... csu! The first game of the season sets a tone and the rammies have not been a pushover for years, enjoying a share of wins.
Starting the season with a victory is a lift and sets a tone.
We can not have a repeat of Hawaii to begin the year. The players and recruits might give up with a loss in game 1.
It seems the fans are hoping for 6 wins - the magical bowl number. Our schedule is not easy, especially on the road. Every win will be a tough one. Can't start with a loss.
A win will show us how well we have improved - from players to staff to schemes and more.
A loss here and I could envision a nasty spiral into a trail of losses, except for the following game.
It is also the first win needed to get to at least 6 wins.
Rammies need to be put in place.
After the ram game I would say the Oregon game is a big one because it is the first PAC game. It is likely we could be coming off a loss at Meecheegan, needing a win and pushing our record to 3-1. A win against the Ducks would propel us into league play with more confidence.
A huge year and every game is big, starting with the 1st against the rams.

@powersweeper
http://www.cubuffs.com/sports/2006/8/17/536995.aspx

Was looking at a list of Buffs in the NFL, looking for Mike Schnitker a DE and Team Captain when Montler was there and went on to play in 74 games for the Broncos at OG.

http://www.cubuffs.com/sports/2006/8/17/536995.aspx

Some other names in S thru T, were David Tate-142 games, Joel Steed-115 games, Walter Stanley-85 games, and Mike Spivey-77 games. If you start looking at this list, you start to remember how many players and how good the Buffs were.

I recommend this list for Kyle, Christian, Brie as writers for this site as an insight to Buffs History, as well as anyone else who likes to take a trip down memory lane.

8. Buy or Sell

1. Colorado as a team rushes for more than 2,500-yards this season (Last year 2,031-yards)
Sell - While I like what Colorado has returning at Running Back, I just to see them pressing past the 2,500-yard mark running the football. Two reasons, one I think Colorado will rely more on the pass and secondly they don’t have a home-run hitter in the backfield.

2. Colorado scores at least 3 special teams touchdowns this year
Sell - Special teams touchdowns don’t come often and while I am confident in the special teams players listed in the pencil depth chart, still need to see more of big play ability to really buy at this point.

3. Average attendance for home games in Boulder is more than 40,000
Buy - With home games against Oregon State, Arizona State, UCLA, Washington State, and UTAH the Buffs should be in every one of those games. Colorado could very well win each of those games.

4. Phillip Lindsay leads the team in rushing (most yards) for a second consecutive season
Buy - At this point I am buying. He led the team in rushing las year and from what I saw in the spring game I feel he’ll have a solid year. 1,000-yards rushing is a stretch, but he’ll tout the rock well.

5. Tedric Thompson earns 1st Team or 2nd Team PAC 12 Honors
Buy - While Defensive Back Chidobe Awuzie is getting his preseason award hype, let’s not forget about how good Thompson is. Really feel he has an outstanding season.

6. Alex Kelley is one of the top offensive linemen in the PAC 12
Buy - As another member of the website said, how do you even gauge this? However I think Kelley has proven over the last few years that he can go up agains the best in the conference and hold his own.

7. Fa’avae Fa’avae is next to commit to Colorado
Hold - Seems like everything that floats around Colorado related on social media Fa’avae Fa’avae is on it. Great sign and while I’m thinking he’ll commit to Colorado at some point, just not exactly sure when.

8. This Season: Stanford > USC > Washington > Oregon > UCLA
Sell - This season 1. Stanford, 2. USC, 3. Oregon, 4. Washington, 5. UCLA

9. Incoming Quarterback Sam Noyer gets playing time in 2016
Sell -Today no. However we’ll each be able to answer after the first few weeks of fall camp. A lot depends on where Sefo is health wise.

10. Is this is a Bowl or Bust Season For The Buffs?
Buy - I don’t know if I’d consider it a bust season for Colorado if they don’t reach a Bowl Game, but looking at their schedule they should win 6 games. Beating Colorado State, Idaho State, Oregon State, Arizona State, Washington State, and UTAH is realistic. My far out prediction is that there will be a ton riding on that November 3rd home against against UCLA.

No. 9 Extra Credit

vxjtnsvegiqzntathvla

Nagurski Watch list - Best Defender - Chidobe Awuzie on list
Colorado Defensive Back Chidobe Awuzie makes Nagurski Watch List
http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/news/2016/nagurski160708.html

Colorado’s Emma Coburn won the 2016 3000 Meter Steeplechase at the Olympic Trials. Off to Rio.
Winner of the 2016 3000 Meter Steeplechase at the Olympic Trials, punches her ticket for Rio Olympics
http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/7/...ns-us-championship-punches-ticket-to-rio.aspx

Former Colorado Track Standout Jenny Simpson wins 1,500 meters
https://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/10/jenny-simpson-1500-meters-olympic-trials-2016/

10. Beating Michigan
I’m really trying to surround myself with Colorado Football. Reading history, watching documentaries, you name it. I also fired up the old PS3 and have played some of Colorado’s early season games. I kid you not. I’m 3-0 with two come from behind victories over Colorado State and Michigan. I was down 13-0 to Michigan in the 4th, scored two touchdowns including a far less dramatic Miracle in Michigan version 2.0. Haha.

frlggcnxacqahy9cmsxn

Keep the people in the Nederland Community in your thoughts and prayers

CUSportsNation.com Latest News/Headlines
July 10th - Full Q&A with South Sumter (FL) defensive end/tight end Carson Wells
July 10th - Is Colorado next to offer California Offensive Linemen
July 9th: Top 10 Returning Sophomores: No. 7
July 9th: Top 10 Returning Redshirt Freshmen: No. 7
July 9th - MEET THE COMMITS: Moorpark College cornerback Jalin Burrell
July 8th - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 7
July 8th - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 7
July 8th - The Rise Report (July 8th)
July 8th - Washington DB Anfernee Gurley hopes offer comes soon
July 8th - July 24th BBQ Invites/Expected to Attend
July 8th - Colorado coaches trying to sway Texas defensive end
July 8th - MEET THE COMMITS: ThunderRidge Offensive Lineman Heston Paige
July 7th - Welcome Brie Thomas to the CUSportsNation.com Staff
July 7th - Top 10 Incoming Players: No. 8
July 7th - Fa'avae Fa'avae Update (he has set up an official visit to Colorado)
July 6th - Inside The War Room (Recruiting Tracker/Offer List)
July 6th - Top 10 Returning Sophomores: No. 8
July 6th - Top 10 Returning Redshirt Freshmen: No. 8
July 5th - Colorado Names Team Captains For 2016 Season
July 5th - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 8
July 5th - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 8
July 5th - New CU transfer Namon Wright is a threat offensively
July 4th - Henderson's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend
July 4th - 2017 Valor WR Curtis Chiaverini talks ties to CU
July 4th - Top 10 Incoming Freshmen Countdown: No. 9
July 4th - Top 10 Sophomore Countdown: No. 9
July 4th - Top 10 Redshirt Freshman Countdown: No. 9
July 4th - 2018 Speedster Has CU Attention
July 3rd - The Rise Is Real, Meet The Commitments
July 3rd - Patrick Carr To Transfer
July 3rd - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 9
July 3rd - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 9
July 2nd - Top 10 True Freshmen: No. 10
July 2nd - Mullen Safety Isiahia Banks talks timetable
July 2nd - Top 10 Redshirt Freshmen: No. 10
July 1st - Video: Colorado Football Preview
July 1st - Update on Buff Commit Dante Sparaco
July 1st - Who Will Be Colorado's Toughest Match Up In 2016?
July 1st - Top Colorado In-State 2018 Prospect talks Recruiting
July 1st - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 10
July 1st - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 10
July 1st - Top 10 Sophomore Countdown: No. 10

Latest Recruiting News
July 10th - Full Q&A with South Sumter (FL) defensive end/tight end Carson Wells
July 10th - Is Colorado next to offer California Offensive Linemen
July 9th - MEET THE COMMITS: Moorpark College cornerback Jalin Burrell
July 8th - Washington DB Anfernee Gurley hopes offer comes soon
July 8th - The Rise Report
July 8th - July 24th BBQ Invites/Expected to Attend
July 8th - Colorado coaches trying to sway Texas defensive end
July 8th - MEET THE COMMITS: ThunderRidge Offensive Lineman Heston Paige
July 7th - Fa'avae Fa'avae Update (he has set up an official visit to Colorado)
July 6th - 2019 Valor Christian running back Joshia Davis talks CU offer
July 5th - Buena Park (CA) offensive lineman Ryan Nelson remains open in recruiting
July 5th - New CU transfer Namon Wright is a threat offensively
July 4th - 2017 Valor WR Curtis Chiaverini talks ties to CU
July 4th - 2018 Speedster Has CU Attention
July 3rd - The Rise Is Real, Meet The Commitments
July 2nd - Isaiah Lewis is newest Buff Commitment
July 2nd - Mullen Safety Isiahia Banks discusses decision timetable
July 1st - Colorado's Top In-State 2018 Prospect talks recruiting
July 1st - Colorado the one for Sparaco
Buff Recruiting & Offer Tracker

Top Colorado Football Player Countdown
Seniors
July 1st - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 10