ADVERTISEMENT

New CU transfer Namon Wright is a threat offensively

ChristianJames

Buff Heisman
Staff
Mar 1, 2010
Find out the strengths of former Missouri wing Namon Wright as we caught up with PowerMizzou.com publisher Gabe DeArmond and talked to him about Wright and what to expect now!

vj25t968gilnyzu1saqj

What type of player will Colorado be getting with Wright?
"They're getting a guy who can be a very good shooter, a good all around player and has proven he can get you 20 on any given night. He's never done it consistently though. Tad Boyle's challenge will be getting close to his best effort on a regular basis."

What are the strengths of his game?
"When he's on he can be a knockdown shooter. He really improved his rebounding this year as well. At 6-5, he is pretty big for a shooting guard. He's not an elite athlete, but he's good enough. He went to the basket a lot more this year after being more or less only a three-point shooter as a freshman."

What areas does he need to continue working on?
"Nobody's going to accuse him of being a lockdown defender. And he isn't a guy that you'll count on to handle the ball a lot. I'm sure CU isn't signing him because of his defensive abilities, but there's room to improve. If he could get to average, he's got enough offensive ability for that to be good enough."

How will the experience he gained at Missouri help him transition to Colorado?
"I saw Tad Boyle refer to him as a "ready made player." This isn't a guy that comes in where you're hoping he can get his feet wet in year one and then help in year two. He's already been through that. CU should expect to get his two best years."

How do you feel he will fit in at Colorado?
"I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the Buffs' roster, culture or anything else. I'd assume since Boyle targeted him he thinks the fit is good. The fit wasn't very good here. The coach that signed him left and it just never seemed to work that well between Namon and the new coaching staff."

How big of a blow was it for Missouri to see him transfer earlier this off-season?
"There are two ways to look at it: When you're 19-44 over two years, losing a guy who led you in minutes and rebounds and was third in points can't be a positive. On the other hand, when you're 19-44 in two years, there's really no such thing as a guy you can't afford to lose."

How do you feel he will handle sitting out a year due to the transfer?
"I think that's the question (not just about Namon but about almost all players in that situation). Will he stay engaged and buy in? Will the realization that this is his last chance to be the player he wanted to be serve as a positive? I think he's got a chance to be a good, contributing player on a good team. But I'm not sure I can say one way or the other how strongly I feel about the possibility of it happening."

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News