ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson: 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

kyle h

Buff Heisman
Feb 3, 2005
I felt like Jonathan Moxon getting called off the bench to replace Lance Harbor in Varsity Blues. Impossible task, but these first few days have been a great opportunity to introduce the staff, field questions, etc. This will be a weekly feature here at CUSportsNation.com. Just a rundown of the week, weekend, whatever. Hope you enjoy. - Kyle Henderson, Publisher of CUSportsNation.com

1. Isaiah Lewis Is Commitment No. 13, Who’s Next
Colorado’s 13th commitment came in on July 2nd with the Isaiah Lewis from Granite Bay, California committing. The 6-foot-0, 197 pound defensive back committed to Colorado over Wyoming and Washington State. The Buffs now have 3 defensive backs committed with Chris Miller out of Denton, Texas and Jalin Burrell out of Moorpark, California each committing to the Buffs in June. So who’s next? The Buffs need linemen, 6-foot-6, 254 pound Ryan Nelson out of Buena Park, California has a number of offers, but what could give Colorado the edge is Buff Offensive Linemen Coach Klayton Adams. Coach Adams seems to be very active in the social media world, he’s young, and players really seem to gravitate towards him. A lot of Buff insiders are predicting Santa Ana, California Outside Linebacker Fa’avae Fa’avae to be next. The 6-foot-3, 212 pound 2017 backer has a ton of West Coast offers and the latest detail we have on him is that he is still very much interested in the Buffs. The Buffs do not have a committed Tight End and with 2016 being Sean Irwin’s last year, landing a Tight End is vital. While Buff Commit Dante Sparaco plays tight end at the high school level, he could very well switch to the defense once he arrives in Boulder. Right now, Rivals.com lists him as an Athlete. Josh Falo who has dozens of offers would be a monster land. You get a guy like Falo, the Buffs’ Recruiting Class is going to be lit.

2. Class of 2017 Colorado Commitments
7/2 - Isaiah Lewis - S - 6-foot, 197 pounds Granite Bay. CA - Unranked
6/28 - Sebastian Olver - ATH - 6-foot-4, 248 - Kentfield, CA - Unranked
6/27 - Maurice Bell - WR - 6-foot-0, 175 - Murrieta, CA - 3 Stars
6/24 - Heston Paige - OL - 6-foot-5, 270 - Thunder Ride, CO - 2 Stars
6/22 - Chris Miller - DB - 6-foot-0, 175 - Denton, TX - 3 Stars
6/21 -Tyler Lytle - QB - 6-foot-5, 205 - Anaheim, CA - 3 Stars
6/19 - Chase Newman - LB - 6-foot-1, 205 - La Mirada, CA - 3 Stars
6/14 - Alex Fontenot - RB - 5-foot-11, 185, Richmond, TX - 3 Stars
6/14 - Jalin Burrell - DB - 6-foot-2, 192 - Moorpark, CA - Unranked
4/22 - Laviska Shenault - WR - 6-foot-2, 205 - DeSoto, TX - 4 Stars
4/2 - Jaylon Jackson - WR - 5-foot-10, 150 - Cedar Hill, TX - 4 Stars
2/29 - Dante Sparaco - ATH - 6-foot-4, 265 - IMG Academy, FL - 3 Stars
2/28 - Jonathan Van Diest - DE - 6-foot-2, 235 - Greenwood Village, CO - 3 Stars

Buff Recruiting & Offer Tracker
https://colorado.forums.rivals.com/threads/buff-recruiting-offer-tracker.26886/

3. 41.8 % - The Grade you gave Head Coach Mike MacIntrye
It’s hard to believe that we have to rewind all the way back to the 2005 season to find Colorado’s last winning season. Head Coach Mike MacIntrye who enters his 4th year as the Buffs’ Head Coach has a career record at Colorado of 10-27 and the Buffs are just 2-25 in conference play since his takeover. Replacing former Head Colorado Coach Jon Embree who was 4-21 over two years including his 1-11 season in 2012, was no easy mess to clean up to say the least. However, MacIntyre now has the Buffs believing they can get back to a Bowl Game, possibly even this year. In 2015, Colorado played in 5 games (all losses) that were decided by a touchdown or less. The Buffs have not been to a Bowl Game since the 2007 season under Dan Hawkins when they lost the Independence Bowl to Alabama 30-24.

4. 57.1 % - Believe that Michigan will be Colorado’s toughest match up in 2016
We also asked this week who you felt would be Colorado’s toughest opponent for the 2016 season (left out Colorado State/Idaho State). 57.1% voted that the trip to the Big House to face Michigan on September 17th would be toughest. The Wolverines who won the Citrus Bowl in 2015 under Head Coach Jim Harbaugh return 14 starters into the season, including 6-foot-6, 249 pound Tight End Jake Butt who has caught for a career 92-receptions for 1,100-yards, and 7 touchdowns. The Wolverines also return Jourdan Lewis at defensive back, he led the team in tackles in 2015 and is one of the best in the Big Ten.

5. Top Posts From This Week

@Rraalph
Sup bitches

@RoadRunnerBaseball
2JvHaP6.png

@ChiBuff
Mmmm....yeeeeah. Now that you're becoming a Buff, you'll soon realize that Nebraska is the worst place for everything.
office-space.jpg

@DRam89
Wat8.jpg

@RootForCU
Yes the transition could have been handled a lot better. Yes Adam rocks and built the Buffs rivals family into what it is today. However, give the kid a chance. Each of us got our first break into a new industry because someone gave us a chance. I have no dog in the fight, definitely not a Rivals fan, very appreciative of Adam and the contributions each of us has made over the years, but give him a chance before cancelling on day one and moving over (or just add a second sub). A boss gave us a chance when we were hired and comparing our first day on the job to the person we replaced is unrealistic. I plan on giving him and his staff a few months to get their feet under them and running hard. By mid season we will know how the product looks.

@brettden27
on the Carr transfer my personal opinion is it is about a 5 on the loss scale. He is a talented player, but from what I have seen thus far he lacks the vision to ever become a top flight pac12 back. But he certainly had the speed needed to become a top return man, and that is where I expect us to miss him most. Small compact body with great speed is a good combo for return man in my view.

If I could change a game I would switch out Michigan away for a team like Memphis at home. Simply because the program needs money and needs wins. The Buffs desperately need to win 6+ games this year, and that will be tough with the current schedule. Second on the list would be drop Oregon or Stanford for Cal for obvious reasons (if not so obvious, better chance of winning, and catching up with our old friend Davis Webb).

Two breakout players for me are Huckins (there has to be at least one or two guys on the line that rise up this year), and Sefo. I know Sefo has had some solid moments, but we need him to play like a draftable QB in order for the wins to come in my opinion. If he shows the full package this year I see the Buffs really shocking people. If he is again a one side of the field guy with 15+ interceptions I don't think he will make it past game 8 as the starter.

@CastleRockBuff
God Bless America

6. NCBuff
Your daily delivery is something tremendously valued. To me, you’re the Buff Mailman @NCBuff

7. Buy or Sell
Sefo Liufau will start every game this season
I'm going to buy here. I think he'll stay healthy and with the amount of weapons he has, he'll produce similar numbers to his sophomore season.

Colorado averages more than 24 points per game on offense
Buy. I feel once the Buffs find their rhythm they are going to put up a lot of points on the board. I'm going to buy even more if a Running Back steps up this year.

Colorado allows less than 27 points per game on defense
Buy again. With the amount of experience they return especially in the secondary, I like the Buffs to be strong, especially on third and long.

At least two Buff Receivers will catch for over 700-yards
Keep buying. Going back to Sefo, if he is healthy and on, the Buffs have some very capable WR's that should produce big numbers.

Chidobe Awuzie leads the team in interceptions this season
Sell. I think Tedric Thompson will lead the team in interceptions.

Colorado wins more than 3 conference games (list who they'll beat)
Buy. Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington State, and UTAH

Colorado beats CSU this year by at least two touchdowns
Sell. Throw the records out the window. First game, neutral site game, who the hell knows.

Donovan Lee has breakout season
Buy. Think he'll pop off some big plays early on.

2016 Defense > 2015 Defense
Buy. A lot of experience, think the trenches will be much improved.

Juwann Winfree has bigger season than Kabion Ento
Hold. While I am excited about Winfree, I really like what I see in Ento as well.

8. Coach Tweets

9. Off And Running
Now in the 4th day of Publishing CUSPortsNation and wanted to say thank you for the recent feedback. Always know that your feedback here is welcomed and wanted. The community here is thick, full of knowledgeable Buff contributors, many whom have been a member of Rivals for more than 15-years. That speaks on the volume of loyalty and passion for the team you want to see covered: Colorado. That is our plan every day. I’ve been with Rivals.com since 2006, bring a lot of knowledge to the table in terms of running a website, message board, etc. and have put Christian James in a lead role for recruiting. So far, Christian has knocked it out of the ball park with some great coverage, the day Isaiah Lewis committed Christian had a Q and A interview up with not only Isaiah, but with this coach as well. I would not of hired anyone on this staff if I knew they were not going to work daily to bring you non-stop coverage. The game plan is this: Big picture, Recruiting, and Beat Reporting from Campus. Speaking of Campus, Boulder is unreal. I sat outside Folsom Field and while everyone knows the true beauty of Colorado, Boulder has a unique feel. It’s easy to be deeply attracted to the surroundings. I can only imagine the feeling recruits have when they walk into past the Champions Center.

10. God Bless The USA

We are beyond blessed to live in this country. That goes without being said, but it never gets old to hear. I am a very big supporter of our men and women who serve this country. While we enjoy tonight, this weekend with our friends and family, let's not forget those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice which has provided us to live free. Big salute to our Nation's Best. No place I'd rather be.

11. (SPECIAL) Big Announcement Coming Soon
Stay tuned...

Running Content On CUSportsNation.com

CUSportsNation.com Latest News/Headlines

July 4th - 2017 Valor WR Curtis Chiaverini talks ties to CU
July 4th - Top 10 Incoming Freshmen Countdown: No. 9
July 4th - Top 10 Sophomore Countdown: No. 9
July 4th - Top 10 Redshirt Freshman Countdown: No. 9
July 4th - 2018 Speedster Has CU Attention
July 3rd - The Rise Is Real, Meet The Commitments
July 3rd - Patrick Carr To Transfer
July 3rd - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 9
July 3rd - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 9
July 2nd - Top 10 True Freshmen: No. 10
July 2nd - Mullen Safety Isiahia Banks talks timetable
July 2nd - Top 10 Redshirt Freshmen: No. 10
July 1st - Video: Colorado Football Preview
July 1st - Update on Buff Commit Dante Sparaco
July 1st - Who Will Be Colorado's Toughest Match Up In 2016?
July 1st - Top Colorado In-State 2018 Prospect talks Recruiting
July 1st - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 10
July 1st - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 10

Latest Recruiting News
July 4th - 2017 Valor WR Curtis Chiaverini talks ties to CU
July 4th - 2018 Speedster Has CU Attention
July 3rd - The Rise Is Real, Meet The Commitments
July 2nd - Isaiah Lewis is newest Buff Commitment
July 2nd - Mullen Safety Isiahia Banks discusses decision timetable
July 1st - Colorado's Top In-State 2018 Prospect talks recruiting
July 1st - Colorado the one for Sparaco
Buff Recruiting & Offer Tracker

Top Colorado Football Player Countdown
Seniors

July 1st - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 10
July 3rd - Top 10 Senior Countdown: No. 9

Juniors
July 1st - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 10
July 3rd - Top 10 Junior Countdown: No. 9

Sophomores

July 1st - Top 10 Sophomore Countdown: No. 10
July 4th - Top 10 Sophomore Countdown: No. 9

Redshirt Freshmen

July 2nd - Top 10 Redshirt Freshmen: No. 10
July 4th - Top 10 Redshirt Freshman Countdown: No. 9

Incoming

July 2nd - Top 10 Incoming Players: No. 10
July 4th - Top 10 Incoming Players: No. 9

Follow us on Twitter
@CUSporsNation.com

One more thing. I've Raced Tee Martin

My first job was working with the Nike Camps and Combines. I was the Publisher of the Website. If anyone knows Brian Stumpf (Director of Nike Camps, I was his right hand man) Went to every major college campus, you name it I've been there. My roommate (on a few road trips) and still a good friend to this day is Tee Martin. Won a title at Tennessee and is also USC's Offensive Coordinator. We were in Pittsburgh after an event and had a few drinks and I am not sure how the conversation got there, but I told Tee that I could be him in a race . He said let's go out back and find out. People are betting on this, people are following us out to this back alley in Pittsburgh to watch us run a 40. It didn't turn out well for me. Haha. I know a few people in the industry, and at another time I'll you about a 4-year starter at Colorado who is a great friend of mine....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News