ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm hearing with coaching openings at CU

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
I just spoke to a couple of sources this morning about the Colorado DC opening..

I'm hearing that nothing is set in stone as of right now with Mississippi State DC Peter Sirmon being the guy, but both sources feel like the move makes sense for him. I do expect Sirmon to be the guy.

As far as the cornerbacks coach opening, MSU CB's coach Terrell Buckley has been rumored, but I'm hearing that MSU safeties coach Maurice Linguist is more likely to happen.

Buckley would be a bigger get in my opinion, but I've heard that Buckley would prefer to stay in the SEC to coach. However, I've also heard that Buckley gets "frustrated" with recruiting with the current staff at MSU, according to both sources.

Buckley is very well connected in Florida (he's played at FSU and for the Dolphins in the NFL) as well as in Mississippi.

Linguist has coached at Iowa State, Baylor, and Buffalo. He played his college ball at Baylor.. Linguist could do some good work recruiting the state of Texas.

1/9 3:05pm Update: I'm hearing more Tosh Lupoi buzz, and Kyle and I agree that Lupoi would be a slam dunk of a hire. Lupoi has been the OLB coach at Alabama for a couple of seasons now. He played at California and coached there as well as having a stint at Washington. Lupoi is known for being an incredible recruiter, especially in the Bay area but really all over California in general.. Lupoi going back to Cal makes sense, but I'm hearing that Cal already tried to bring Lupoi in under Sonny Dykes and it was blocked by some people high up in the program. Apparently Lupoi did some things at Cal to piss off the fan base when he left Cal for Washington... At the end of the day, this would be a great hire.

1/9 8:43pm Update: I'm hearing more of Sirmon to Colorado, per a source.. Also, source said that Maurice Linguist, who I wrote about above, could be heading to Arkansas. If Sirmon is the guy and isn't able to bring Linguist, then it could be Buckley, but I'm not sure Buckley wants to go out of SEC territory. We will see.

1/10 2:44pm Update: Not a whole lot of news but I did hear from a source close to Sirmon that Colorado has indeed offered him the DC job.. Nothing confirmed as far as him accepting it though. I'm still expecting Sirmon to be the guy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News