ADVERTISEMENT

Woelk Named CUBuffs.com Contributing Editor

Adam Munsterteiger

Folsom Field King
Aug 5, 2003
Superior, CO
www.buffstampede.com
CU Press Release:

BOULDER — Neill Woelk, a veteran journalist of 35 years with many ties to the University of Colorado and Boulder communities, has been named the new contributing editor for the school’s website, CUBuffs.com.

He replaces B.G. Brooks, who is retiring from the full-time position he has held for the last six years. He will remain in a part-time capacity writing select feature stories and on game days, mostly in football and basketball.

Woelk is known to many around the Boulder-Denver metro area for his longtime work with the Boulder Daily Camera, as over the course of 30 years with the newspaper, he was a sports reporter and columnist, an assistant sports editor under the late Dan Creedon, and finally serving as sports editor himself before moving on to become the editor of the Hermiston (Ore.) Herald. After one year working for theSt. George Spectrum in southwest Utah, he most recently has been working as the journalism advisor for student media at Colorado State University.

A 1982 CU graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, he grew up in Lamar where he worked for two former CU Board or Regents members in high school. He was the state of Colorado’s sportswriter of the year in 1999 and has received numerous Colorado Press Association awards for his work.

“The University of Colorado has been part of the fabric of my life for most of my life,” Woelk said. “I am extremely excited to take on this new chapter and be part of an athletic department I believe is headed in the right direction and is ready to accomplish some great things. I can’t wait to start.”

Woelk will officially begin next week and will write for the first time from the Pac-12 Football Media Day events in Los Angeles on July 30.

Brooks joined the CU staff in the summer of 2009 as one of the first former longtime beat writers to transition to working for a college or professional team website. He was one of many experienced reporters left out of work when the Rocky Mountain News ceased operations on February 28 of that year.

“The past six years working at the school that I covered for so many, many more has been an enlightening, enjoyable experience from a different perspective,” Brooks said. “Newspaper friends said I was moving to the ‘dark side.’ It was quite to the contrary. People make the difference at CU, and I met so many dedicated folks I will consider lifetime friends. Many thanks to Dave Plati and the athletic department administration for giving me an opportunity when times appeared bleak six winters ago.”

“Neill has some fresh new ideas to help populate both the website and our social media outlets and has often referred to working for CU, his alma mater, as his dream job,” CU athletic director Rick George said. “At the Camera, at one time or another he covered all of our sports and thus has a great familiarity with our program. B.G. will remain with us on a part-time basis and still write occasional feature stories and on select game days; having the 1-2 punch of Neill and B.G. will take our own coverage of our program to another level.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News