ADVERTISEMENT

Why Utah is a paper tiger...

Longtimebuff1

Buff Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
https://utah.rivals.com/commitments/football/2020

73rd ranked recruiting class. We have learned the hard way that talent really does matter, and while Utah's success in football is a huge credit to Kyle Whittingham, they are never going to win big with the talent they recruit. I think one reason they can hang with a lot of teams is that Whittingham recruits to a similar philosophy as Tucker in so far as with your big bodies you need to recruit size and speed. Combine that with great coaching and you can win some games. As we have heard and read, you can't recruit guys that are undersized and hope they will grow in to the position. Utah reminds me of the last few Barnett coached CU teams that won the Big 12 North, only to get blasted by a Texas team that had light years better talent. The gap between Oregon and Utah in this years CCG was all about the jimmys and joes - the superior talent of Oregon when combined with great coaching trumps all. I really, really believe that CU is going to be a contender given the uptick in recruiting, and the fact that Tucker looks to be a superior coach. I also think the South as a whole is going to be very good in the next few years, and as teams like USC always playing well (mostly due to extreme talent), UCLA, ASU, and CU all get a whole lot better. Unless they can get much better in recruiting, Utah is going to end up a perennial middling team in the south, often below the latter teams, but consistently ahead of Arizona. In any event, with they way we are moving forward, we should be beating Utah regularly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News