ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Buffs Lost

brettden27

Buff All-American
Jan 30, 2012
Of course there are many reasons. But after watching the game, reflecting on it, and the rest of the season I think it can be boiled down to a few things (but of course all things should be viewed on a spectrum, so as one area improves, or devolves, it will impact other areas).

First, talent on both lines. To me that was the glaring difference in each of the last two games. Our offensive lines struggled to protect in one on one blocking situations, and our defensive lineman failed to win one on one matchups. That is simply talent. Of course we struggled with some concepts blocking wise, and our scheme on defense could have been more creative in an effort to give our players advantages. But nothwithstanding that, we consistently lost one on one battles in the trenches the last two games (same thing in the USC game).

Second, lack of transcendent talent anywhere on the field. We have some really good players here and there but we don't have a guy like #28 for okie state, or a guy who consistently plays like their QB, or an Adoree Jackson type guy. Teams like Bama, Clemson, USC et al. have several of those guys on the field any given play. We have none in my estimation. Those type of guys can overcome team weaknesses in other areas. Those type of guys can break the dam when a game in close. I think Oliver has the potential to be that guy. Maybe Montez, maybe the incoming frosh QB. Maybe some others could grow into that role. But last night we needed a guy who could make a couple plays on his own to change momentum, and we didn't have it.

Third, lack of creativity with the coaches. A few examples that I think demonstrate this. Offense: it isn't trick plays that win games, it si keeping the other team off balance. You can do that even when you are overmatched physically. Being astute as a play caller and understanding what is ready to work, and what you can do to take advantage of the other team is a high level skill. Our guys do not have that on a regular basis. Line play again shows, in my view, a lack of high level coaching. When other teams stunt and twist that should not be an immediate death knell to a play. While it can be effective for the defense, it is also a risk because it exposes the defense if the correct scheme is employed (or the correct play is called to exploit the trick). Rarely, if ever over the past two or three years have I see our offense expose a team when they use trickery with their Dline. Defense: lack of creating pressure with scheme. probably the biggest example I can think of.

Anyway, I don't think the sky is falling, but I don't think we are one step away from a regular top ten team either. Need more talent, and need more coaching prowess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News