ADVERTISEMENT

What are Colorado's remaining needs in the 2018 class?

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Scav posted a great thread about Colorado's remaining needs in the 2018 class. I decided to do my own break down.

---

Looking at Colorado's commitment list, the Buffaloes technically have 11 commitments, but that does not include Texas Tech wide receiver transfer Tony Brown.

A lot of this depends on attrition and what not, but based on what we've been told, Colorado will take around 18-22 recruits in this class.

Positional Rundown

Quarterback: Colorado is done with Blake Stenstrom.

Running Back: With Max Borghi flipping his commitment from CU to WSU, the Buffs could take another running back but that is very much up in the air. According to our sources over the past couple of months, the goal was two running back commitments for Colorado. The Buffs have Deion Smith committed, and he is a good one. Jarek Broussard is also committed, but he is more of a WR/RB hybrid recruit. Colorado could take another true running back alongside of Smith.

Wide Receiver: Brown is basically a junior college transfer, and Daniel Arias is the Buffs WR recruit they've been looking for. Broussard will play some slot too, so I'd be shocked if the Buffs take another wide receiver.

Tight End: Colorado is looking to take one tight end in this class, and Trey McBride is the main guy CU is after. Their other main targets have committed elsewhere. Keep an eye on Jake Peters, who doesn't have many offers because he was injured his junior year and schools are waiting to see him play a few games as a senior.

Offensive Line: Unless Justin Dedich wants to flip from USC to Colorado, the Buffs are done at offensive line. Or the Buffs could potentially take Will Craig if he wants to commit, because he's too good to pass up on. Frank Filip is solidly committed to CU, but I have the gut feeling that Walker Culver will look at other schools. Josh Jynes is the Buffs' commit on the interior offensive line.

Defensive Line: Colorado has a lot of work to do here. My educated guess is that Colorado wants to take three defensive lineman, and they currently have zero committed. Four-star Caleb Tremblay officially visited in June and would a monster get for the Buffs if he commits. But past Tremblay, I can't really put my finger on D-line recruits that are highly considering the Buffs and could commit soon. So like I said, CU has a lot of work to do here.

Linebacker: Colorado is done at inside linebacker with Clyde Moore and Davion Taylor. At outside linebacker, Joshka Gustav was told by Colorado, according to Gustav, that he'd be the lone OLB they'd take in the 2018 class. I could see Colorado fitting in another OLB if the recruit is a stud.

Cornerback: Colorado could potentially take two in this class. The staff has been targeting Delrick Abrams hard, and I would peg L.J. Wallace to end up committing to the Buffs. Colorado really isn't recruiting a lot of cornerbacks, and as I've said, it's not a big priority position for CU's 2018 class.

Safety: Colorado has mainly upperclassmen safeties on roster, so this is a position of need. Ray Robinson is committed and will likely play the Buff spot (hybrid LB/S), and CU is looking to take a true safety. If Colorado could flip the Green twins (Gemon and German) from Michigan, they'd get their cornerback and safety in this class. Keep an eye on Greg Eisworth from the JuCo ranks as well.

My Class #'s Prediction

In parentheses are the current commits at each spot

QB: 1 (Stenstrom)

RB: 2 (Broussard, Smith)

WR: 2 (Arias, Brown)

TE: 1

OL: 3 (Culver, Filip, Jynes)

DL: 3

LB: 4 (Moore, Taylor, Gustav)

CB: 2

S: 2 (Robinson)

Total: 22 (21 not including Brown)

Final Thoughts

- I'm really interested in the running back and cornerback spots for Colorado. Will they get another running back? Will it be just one CB or two? Interested in seeing how it plays out.

- Maybe I'm just not in the know about CU's defensive line recruiting, but based on what I know, Colorado isn't doing too well. Zero commits and the only guy I can see committing in the near future is Tremblay, who is also highly considering Alabama and Washington..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News