ADVERTISEMENT

We Don't Have an OL Problem

Tatonka82

Senior Starter
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2015
I literally couldn't' sleep last night because I was fricking pissed about what we are doing to our offensive lineman for the second year in a row. Our problem isn't the OL and I'll argue all day with those that say they suck just like last year. But we definitely have an offensive problem and it begins with our head coach and trickles down to PS's playbook (which may not really be his but rather the HC who's looking over his shoulder). What I saw last night against Nebraska was an OL that was essentially sent into a gun fight with a toothpick. Mission Impossible. They were told, we are going to pass the football every play and we don't care if Nebraska's defense knows it (and they did), because SS and TH can win it by themselves. As I said in another thread, the HC and OC should be imprisoned for OL negligence.

So how do they fix it? Tear up the damn playbook and coach like they don't have any talent, like they don't have anyone getting drafted next year. In other words, coach and design an offense like you have North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Appalachian State, Idaho talent. Build an offensive system that is OFFENSIVE LINE FRIENDLY!!!! For God's sake, this isn't that hard.

Let the OL go down hill at least 50% of the game. Let them FEED! Let them HUNT! Let them go smack that big bastard across from them that is pounding on them the other 50% of the game. Get them off their heels and on their toes 50% of the game. Their self-confidence will go up, sacks will go down, and the passing game will be even more efficient.

What would this offense look like?
1) Multiple formations, many involving the TE or TE's
2) Lots of motion, shifts. Shifts then motion. Lot's of smoke & mirrors.
3) QB under center enough to caste doubt in the defense.
4) QB changing launch points with bootlegs, screens to the RB just enough to keep the defense honest.
5) Counter's with TE wham blocks, and OL traps and folds. OL love to pull! Keep them HAPPY!
6) Give Hayden the ball 25 times a game regardless of the per run average!!!! Let him fail. He's going to pop one if we will just stick with the damn run game.
7) Do ALL OF THIS and let Shedeur be Shedeur the other 50% of the time. He's going to stay healthy and our Uber-talented receiving corps are going to go off for big chunks of yardage because our OL will be fighting with guns and the defense will be at a disadvantage.

If we would build an offense with our offensive lineman in mind, make it friendly to their talents and needs, we could be a very dangerous team. Without one, we are going to see the same movie 10 more times in the next 10 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.