ADVERTISEMENT

Vista Ridge QB Brayden Dorman talks Buffs, February decision day

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Colorado offered Brayden Dorman in late 2020 back when not many other programs were on his trail. In fact, Iowa State was the only school to offer him before CU did. Now, Dorman has released a top 5 (ISU, CU, Arizona, Oregon State and Mississippi State) and is looking at a commitment date sometime in mid-February.

Obviously, a major component here, with respect to CU recruiting him, is Danny Langsdorf. As of now, from my vantage point, all indications are pointing towards Langsdorf not being on staff for next year and most likely, new OC Mike Sanford handling the quarterbacks moving forward.

Dorman touches on that below, noting that he is really tight with Langsdorf but is intrigued about Sanford and wants to meet him.

Whether that happens before his decision day I personally am somewhat skeptical about. Judging on the various coaching hires Colorado has made over the last two years, including that of Dorrell himself, I can say that an observation I've made is that it usually takes coaches at least a few months to get settled before they're reaching out to recruits.

Not to make this a clear apples to apples comparison, but I remember talking with Chase Penry awhile ago, when he was still debating whether to stay committed to Colorado in the aftermath of Tucker leaving and Dorrell getting hired -- I think it was May of 2020 before Dorrell was able to reach out to Penry and talk with him, which ultimately reassured Penry that CU was where he wanted to go.

That means about three months went by from when Dorrell got hired to when he reached out to Penry. Again, not saying that Sanford's situation with Dorman is exactly the same -- it's not -- but from what Dorman had to say, Sanford is going to need to move quickly if Colorado is going to stay in the hunt with him over the next month.

We'll see. Usually, when new coaches come in, to an extent there is some crossover with respect to recruits who were on the previous coach's boards staying of interest to the new coach. Whether that becomes true of Dorman, and if Sanford pursues him hard, remains to be seen.

At any rate. I think Brayden shed some light on how it is to be a player being recruited by a program like CU which is going through a major staff overhaul.

Local blue chip QB Brayden Dorman inching closer to February decision day

Reactions: dtownbuff
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News