ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Saturday's CU camp

Maximus Buff

Buff Legend
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2006
I posted this in other threads, but for those who don't regularly recheck old threads here it is in its own thread where you can feel free to poke fun at the author! ;)

Here's some guys who stood out to me on Saturday. I don't have the magic with content that Adam does but I'll try to put in links to profiles and such. For what it's worth, CU measured all heights and weights WITHOUT shoes on, so realistically you can add an inch to height because who plays in bare feet, right? I get why they do it--so they can get uniform heights not based on thickness of shoes. Anyway......

CDemAQrUIAILs10.jpg

Dante Sparaco (Rivals Profile), of course, has been well documented on this board, and is the QB from the Western Slope who transferred to Pomona going into his junior year. He measured in at 6'4, 256 at CU's camp, if I remember correctly, and participated at TE and DE. Rumor has it he's given up on the QB dream and figured out that he has a bright future at other positions. Adam is supposed to talk to him on the phone. He bounced back and forth from TE to DE. I did not see him work at TE, but it was very interesting watching the tug of war between Klayton Adams and Jim Jeffcoat to get reps for him at their respective positions. I can tell you that he was an absolute natural at DE, and with almost no coaching at the position he picked up the moves and techniques almost immediately. He was athletic and physical and did not shy away from contact. He wasn't one of the fastest man winners, which means he doesn't have super speed over 40 yards, but he's dynamite with his first couple steps, really moves well in the five yard box, and is exactly what you want for an OLB or DE in our system. He got his CU offer based entirely on his performance at this camp. Will he be a TE or a DE? There might be fist fights between Adams and Jeffcoat for this kid, but he could be a difference maker at DE!

Christian Johnson (247sports profile) (Max Preps profile) (HUDL highlights--#32) (Facebook) is a DE/OLB from Parkland High School in El Paso, Texas who measured in on Saturday at 6'2, 256 without an ounce of fat on him. He looked great in one on one pass rush drills, with good first step and a really nice speed rush. I know he's got an offer from UTEP, so the home town school likes him, but I think he might be another gem we found in the middle of nowhere. He does not have a Rivals profile yet, which leads me to believe he's still under the radar. (Hey Adam, could you call this kid and see what CU had to say to him Saturday?)

Marcus Mafi (HUDL) is another one without a Rivals profile but he plays at a pretty big time school for producing recruits, Mililani High School in Hawaii. He measured in Saturday at 6'0, 295 so for now he's just not tall enough to play at our level, but he just mauled people in the one on ones. If he grows a couple inches he could be a Tim Lynott clone.

Chance Lytle (YouTube highlights) (HUDL) (ESPN profile) (NCSA profile) was clearly the best offensive line prospect at CU's camp on Saturday, and I wasn't the only one who thought so, as Coach Bernardi spent a LONG time with Chance and his father out on the field after camp ended. Chance also does not have a Rivals profile and I can't find if he has other offers yet, but he measured in on Saturday at 6'6 1/2, 291 and has the frame to add a lot more weight. He moves fairly well and did well in one on one pass rush. He's a guy who could get an offer based on Saturday. Another call for Adam!

Michael Wilson (Rivals Profile) is a tall offensive tackle from Round Rock, Texas, who also got a lot of attention from Bernardi after camp. He did not have the best athleticism and knee bend but he stonewalled EVERYONE in pass rush one on ones, and as I said, got a lot of love from Bernardi after camp. He measured in at 6'9, 300+ but I'm not sure he's quite that tall. Did not seem any taller than Lytle to me. He was kind of stiff and top heavy in drills, but he rocked it in one on ones. No offers from anyone yet so he'll be one to watch.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News