ADVERTISEMENT

The pick 6

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
That was the 6th or 7th pick 6 we've thrown when throwing the ball to the right flat since 2016. We have thrown a lot of pick 6's on that play. I know that's probably the most likely type of pick 6 to throw, but we've thrown an unusual amount of them.

In every one of them, the QB looks down the throw and the WR doesn't sell the fly route. Nixon didn't even break down his feet. He just circled around. The DB didn't have to work to read that play at all. Any DB playing within 10 yards of the WR off the line of scrimmage picks that play off. Lazy route and no real look off by the QB (even a momentary look straight up field might have slowed the CBs read). All these have happened with Chev as OC/Co-OC. This was the first game we've thrown one where we have won. That's the change with this season. We need to coach our players up better though or that won't be the last time we see that happen either this year or next. I expect a senior WR to run a better route as well. The smallest target on the field can't run the worst routes. I know people have been down on Arias, but I would have not benched Arias for that performance.

Saturday was the first time I saw CU of 2018 come back. Can't block the right guys, lazy routes, poor reads, predictable play calling, and little energy on offense. In fact, I thought I was in a time warp. Like most, I'm giving this game a pass because we had literally 1 day to prepare and that day was a shorts and spiders practice going over game plan and the walk through. It was never going to look pretty I suppose. Have to look sharper than that though. Maybe it's because we're just missing so many on offense.

I hope by Utah, we can play with a full deck again like we did for a half against UCLA. Get our 2 TEs back. Get our center back. Get players out of the dog house. Show some mental edge and aggressiveness. Utah is still going to be a tough, tough, game. Might be a pick'em when they get here. Could have, should have, beaten Washington. They will be healthy (their QB is still out) and a lot more prepared to play when they come to Boulder. At this point, will by far be our toughest game of the year. Not trying to look over UA. That might be another ugly game with so many guys missing and a spread offense that could give us trouble, but Utah can run us out of our own stadium with those lines and tough running game. They will be the best defense we play. Better get the pick 6 situation straightened out. Won't win against Utah at home playing like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News