ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA has some interesting rules..

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
On December 14, high school recruits that are enrolling early signed a financial aid agreement with their school of choice.

In years past, schools were able to announce the signing of a prospect. I'll never forget in the 2014 class there was a recruit that signed three financial aid agreements, which allowed all of the coaches of the colleges that he signed with to talk about them to the media, even though the recruit hadn't actually decided where he'd be going.

That rule has changed.. Well, sort of.

I learned, and maybe some of you already knew this, that schools can still technically announce high school early enrollees before they take classes at the college, but if that recruit is announced and flips his commitment to sign with another school, then the school that announced the recruit would face an NCAA violation.

I think that's an absolute bogus rule that the NCAA needs to change.

The other day, Penn State announced (click here to see it) that a five-star cornerback signed a financial aid agreement with them. If that recruit flips, then Penn State will face a violation. Crazy rule.

This has been around for a while, but I think this is crazy as well.. A high school recruit that signs a financial aid agreement with a school is allowed to practice (only on the school's campus) after they have signed - for bowl practice.

That prospect is still allowed to switch his commitment even after the recruit has practiced with the team. Crazy rule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News