ADVERTISEMENT

the making of a great OLINE

stealthbuff

Senior Starter
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2016
I think it is pretty clear to most folks that the glaring weakness of our team is the OLINE. If we keep our offense off the field for 30 minutes yesterday we would have been in the game. Its also been a problem every year for over a decade. I am baffled by this ongoing galring problem.

Looking at the stats shown earlier this week i noticed the starting 5 OLINE MEN for WSU had given up 1 sack all yr. Having now watched them play, protect their QB and open lanes for the RBs it is clear they are a great D1 OLINE. Their QB stood flat footed in the pocket for 5 seconds at least on every passing play. QBSM would win the Heisman behind that line and Phil Lindsey would have been the second coming of Barry Sanders. So I decided to see how their OL recruits stack up to CU figuring they must have clearly out recruited us.

WSU has 16 OL on their roster, 2 sr, 2 jr, 3 soph and 9 FR/RS. Their starters are 1 SR(2 star), 1 JR(3 star), 2 Sophs(1-2s 1-3s) and 1 RFS(3s).Among the starters, 2 of them had offers from another P5 school but in each case it was ore st or Cal. The other 3 starters had D1 offers to Air Force, Boise and their SR LT had no reported other offers. In other words, we could have been in on any of there kids, they didnt have options to go to USC, Notre Dame or Alabama.

CU has 20 OL on their roster, 5 Srs, 3 JR, 8 Sophs and 4 FR. Our starters (Kaiser, Haigler, Sherman, Pursell and Lynott) are 3 SR (2-3 star and 1 2-star)(Lynott is listed as a Sr but I thought he was a JR), and 2 soph (1 2 st and 1-3 st). 4 of our starters had P5 offers from places like Iowa St, Cal, ASU, KSU, Miami(Lynott), Ore St and Illinois. Pursell had no reported other offers.

On the surface, we have recruited essentially the same type guys as WSU, we are even slightly more experienced and older. Our guys had slightly better offers. Yet WSU is producing OL that look and protect like men while our guys look alot like when they stepped on campus so what gives?

Is this a S&C program issue? Is it that Leach knows how to pick genetically superior 2 star OL recruits? Is it pure luck - i seriously doubt this because every year under Leach their OL look and block like men. Do we not push our guys enough, is the altitude preventing strength and weight gain? Is there too much weed in the training program or available outside the training program?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News