ADVERTISEMENT

Texas tackle Austin Kawecki recaps official visit to Boulder

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
After kicking off his first official visit at Southern California June 4-6, Frisco (Lebanon Trail) Texas offensive tackle Austin Kawecki did the same with the Buffaloes, visiting Boulder this past weekend.

Kawecki, a 6-foot-5, 265-pound prospect, will visit Baylor officially this upcoming weekend followed by Oklahoma State and as of now, he's aiming for a commitment date in late July or early August.

In terms of how overall he liked his time visiting Colorado, Kawecki seemed to have a takeaway that is likely prevalent among many of the prospects who see Boulder in-person for the first time: pictures and Zoom calls fail to give it justice.

“It was definitely eye-opening and a lot different than all the virtual visits and being on Zoom," Kawecki said. "Seeing it in-person was completely different.”

Sophomore offensive lineman Josh Jynes served as Kawecki's player-host during his visit.

While Kawecki has certainly heard the Colorado sales pitch from coaches and the Buffs' recruiting department alike, getting it from Jynes provided another angle.

“It was great," Kawecki said. "I was able to really ask him a lot of questions about the coaches and how he likes being in Boulder, so he was really helpful with me and all of that was pretty important for me to hear from him.”

Kawecki hopes to major in something business-related in college and thus, he paid special attention to the academics Colorado has to offer as well as the support provided to its student-athletes in the classroom.

Shannon Turley also had a presentation for Kawecki and CU's visitors, detailing his approach to nutrition and the weight room.

“I can tell that they really care about it because they’ve got a great strength coach and have a lot of programs in place for their athletes to be successful," Kawecki said. "They also have great academics, so it was great seeing how they really care about the athlete and the student.”

Kawecki had been able to build a solid relationship with Mitch Rodrigue since early March, then the Buffs offered.

After getting to know Rodrigue since then and conducting a few virtual visits with the Buffs, Kawecki's recent in-person experience with him and Karl Dorrell at CU should ensure Colorado remains near the front of the conversation with him as he navigates closer towards a commitment date.

“We already had a pretty strong relationship after he had offered me a few months ago but (Rodrigue) really cares about me," Kawecki said. "That’s very important to me... “I talked to (Dorrell) a couple of times. It was good. They seem to really see me in their program, so talking with them was good. I definitely could see myself playing there at Folsom Field.”

Would be a pretty nice get for Rodrigue. Kawecki is a borderline four-star with a very healthy offer sheet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News