ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts from last night's hoops game

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Great 40 minutes of basketball last night by the Buffs, with meaningful contributions coming from many different players. Have to be pretty content by winning on the road in such convincing fashion. As far as keeping NCAA Tournament hopes alive, that game was a case in point example of the kinds of games CU must continue to win.

Glad to see Barthelemy give good minutes after a near invisible performance at Arizona. I'd be curious to hear if any of you might share my thoughts here, but I have to say, it truly is hard to properly assess Barthelemy in part because he's the first guy after McKinley Wright. I only mean to suggest that it is a component in how Barthelemy ultimately is viewed. Every time he has an off night, I think it's easy to say "McKinley rarely had games like this..."

At any rate, nice game by him last night.

Tristan da Silva continues to showcase his versatility. I had the thought earlier in the preseason about what his offensive identity is and over the last few weeks, I've been impressed with da Silva's ability to wear a number of different hats in the offensive zone.

Great minutes off the bench by Nique Clifford, who continues to earn his way on the glass, and K.J. Simpson, who's really starting to figure things out at the college level.

46-31 edge by CU on the glass by game's end. That's pure domination and a key ingredient in winning games.

On a more sour note, I have to say, I'm starting to lose some faith regarding Lawson Lovering. I want to see an upward trajectory with him on a nightly basis that shows me he's developing, but I'm just not seeing it. Continues to miss bunnies, and finishing at the rim is going to be his bread and butter. Not good.

I knew there were going to be growing pains with him, but from watching him in practice before the season started, I expected him to be able to put things all together more so than he's showed so far.

Hope that trend doesn't continue. I know he's frustrated to all ends of the earth -- he wears it on his face and it's easy to tell. Any time Tad Boyle is asked about it, he preaches Lovering slowing down and not letting things get to his head. I think that still rings rue.

I don't want to trash Lovering too hard, but he's been underwhelming thus far.

Great win, great way to salvage the road trip. I believe CU moved up a touch in the NET following the victory, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News