ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's Camp: Thoughts Round 3

TZISKIN

Buff Forever
Sep 26, 2006
Obviously Adam and Maximus have posted quite a few thoughts about the attendees at the camp, so I won't bore you by repeating their thoughts on guys they've thoroughly broken down at this point.

Adam and I did not watch the OL/DL as much as Maximus, but from the limited reps I saw, there wouldn't have been an OL I would have placed ahead of Terriek Roberts as a prospect. From my eyes, not a guy I'd expect us to offer, but of course, Maximus is far more talented in evaluating the big hosses.

On the DL, I didn't personally get to watch him in 1v1s... but Dante Sparaco was VERY fluid in drills early on, and I can say from the comments of the staff about him they are going to be going after him VERY hard from here on out as a DE.

Here are the guys that I found myself intrigued by during camp:

#67 Steven O'Malley -- 2016 OLB Cherry Creek HS -- 5'11" 227

O'Malley has prototypical ILB speed and size, but he definitely struggled catching the ball in drills (he does play defense for a reason). I'd have to think he'll have plenty of D1-AA and D2 offers.

#68 - Daniel Ellinger -- 2016 WR Jeff City, MO -- 6'2.5" 190

Ellinger was incredibly smooth in drills, had above average straight line speed and made everything look easy catching the ball. Definitely the 2nd best WR at the camp. He isn't quite a P5 caliber player, but undoubtedly he should receive looks from D1-AA schools and smaller D1 schools.

#75 - CJ Parker -- 2015 S Mt St Jacinto JC -- 6' 200

Arguably the most physically impressive kid at the camp pound for pound. Kid is absolutely jacked and was very impressive in drills and in 1v1s...he was clearly battling a leg injury but was still one of the faster kids there. As a JUCO, he is expected to outperform HS kids obviously, but I still think this kid should be seeing D1 offers from somewhere.

Here are some HUDL highlights from him: CJ Parker

#79 - Max Gonzales -- 2017 RB/LB Cherokee Trail -- 5'10" 195

We had heard pre-camp that Gonzales was a name to watch, but some had concerns about his speed for the P5 level. Based on his performance at this camp, those concerns are not warranted. He was fantastic in nearly every drill and really stood out overall. I'd have ranked him among the top 5 prospects of the camp regardless of class, which means he's a P5 player no doubt in my eyes.

#85 - Taniela Pututau -- 2017 WR Cottonwood, UT -- 6'2'' 190

Taniela is the younger brother of Fua Pututau, who as Adam mentioned, came to the CU camp with an offer at LB. Taniela was interesting to evaluate. He was excellent in 1v1s and was by far the best receiver at the camp despite being a 2017. He was a technician while running routes, but outside of that comfort zone he actually looked a bit awkward. He probably won't ever be a smooth athlete, but he's unquestionably a gifted receiver. He already holds BYU and Oregon State, which complicates matters, because without those, I'd say he was a kid to keep an eye on but wouldn't have expected an immediate offer. With those on the table, the Buffs will likely have to rush the process and get an offer extended to stay with the competition.

#98 - Judd Erickson -- 2017 QB Mountain Vista HS -- 6'3'' 181

I was very excited about Erickson. Kid throws a beautiful ball with definite pop, and completed every single pass I saw him throw at the camp. We didn't get to see him get out in space so unsure how well he fits the dual threat style we typically look for, but he had great foot mechanics in the pocket on the throws we did see. I will be very surprised if he doesn't start to see D1 interest next summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News