ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: how would you divide it up?

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
For me, each coach would be responsible for their position + a region. So, there would be always 2 coaches recruiting a player. His position coach and his regional coach.

Michalowski/OLB: Southeast, JUCO, AZ, Cali-All
Maxie/S: South East, Midwest, Colorado
Embree/TE: Cali-All, Colorado, Northwest, Midwest
Summers:/ILB: Southeast, Southwest, Colorado
Wilson/DL: Southwest, Midwest, Cali-All, Colorado
Chev/WR: Southwest, Cali-All, AZ, Colorado
Rodrigue/OL: Southwest, Southeast, Colorado
Landsdorf/QB: Southern Cal, Colorado, AZ
Martin/CB: Southern Cal, AZ, JUCO, Southwest
Hagan/RB: Southern Cal, Southwest, Midwest, Colorado
Dorrell: Colorado, Cali-All, Southwest, Southeast

First off, I would have a lot of focus on Southern Cal. I expect us to get a lot of players out of Southern Cal with this staff. There is a lot of juice there with this staff and we should do much better than we have in recent years. MUCH better! Chev, Martin, Hagan, Embree, and Dorrell should all have major focus and juice there.

I would have a slightly less amount of focus but right up there in the Southwest. That means major focus on Texas with Louisiana and Oklahoma thrown in there as well. I expect Chev and Rodrigue to lead the charge there with Hagan and Wilson giving strong presence there as well. Martin and Summers can help out there as well with Dorrell batting clean up. I expect a 1/4 all the way up to possibly a 1/3 of the class from the southwest.

Obviously, we want to keep our guys in state. That means starting with the head coach, Dorrell. Karl needs a strong focus here. Embree should be like a #2 point man here with every coach outside of a couple focusing some time in Colorado depending on the prospect. We need to get 3 to 5 of the top 10 in the state each and every year. Can't miss anymore like we have the past few years.

Next, it's the Southeast. I would like us to keep our contacts there, but add Florida like Dorrell wants to do. There are more prospects in Florida than there are in Georgia and Bama combined. We haven't had much if any luck in Florida, but it's worth it if we can win a few there. Getting the transfer from Miami should just be a start. Michalowski and Summers already do work there but now we have Maxie to add to that. Throw in coach Rodrigue from his time in Alabama and we should have the southeast covered with those 4 guys. I don't expect more than a few guys a class at most, but a few out of that region would be a few very talented guys. We're doing pretty good there as it is right now with several guys from that region on the team either directly or from JUCO.

Lastly, midwest and JUCO would be the final focus. We don't have a lot of midwest guys on the squad, but Hagan has had success in the midwest with the Michigan crew. Michalowski has some midwest and JUCO ties. Martin has some JUCO ties now. Maxie could help out here having been an NFL coach for many years in the midwest. Embree could do some work here too from his time in the midwest going to school in Kansas and working for KC. I don't expect more than a couple of prospects from high school in the midwest in a strong year and then maybe a couple of JUCOs.

In a 24 player class, my ideal breakdown would be.

8 - Cali (7 southern Cal)
2 - Arizona
5 - Texas
2 - Louisiana
4 - Colorado
2 - Florida/Georgia
1 - Midwest JUCO/high school

If we manage to get somebody from Utah or the Northwest, they replace a player from Arizona or Cali. If we add 2 from the midwest, that likely means we got only 3 from Colorado. Obviously, if we're having strong years in Cali and Texas, we may not see any from the southeast and midwest and Texas numbers could climb to 7 to 8 and Cali to 10. Not ideal for me though as you could lose a region and if you struggle the next year in those hot spots, then your class could struggle as well. Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News