ADVERTISEMENT

Reality check: No magic wand exists that can make the offense score 30-plus per game while the defense ultimately is mortal

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
The title of this post alone quite frankly could stand alone and get across the point I'm trying to make. I just don't think that there's any other nutshell takeaway from tonight's game. Offensively speaking, the Buffs were the best they've been since the UNC opener....and scored 13 points. That is a truly sad testament to the state of things on offense at the moment.

CU put together a really solid drive to begin the third quarter. There was a lot to like within it. But other than that, generally speaking it was the same old song and dance, to varying degrees.

As sour as it is to accept, I personally think that if indeed the offense does perform better down the road this year, it's going to be incrementally and not at a pace that's going to raise anybody's eyebrows. I'm not sure Colorado is capable of putting 30-plus points up on anyone this season. That very well may not happen.

I foresee more of what we saw tonight — more respectable drives, Brendon Lewis slowly but surely coming along, eventually maybe a point total in the range of 20, give or take.

I don't mean to sound bleak, but that's just the vibe I'm getting from this offense in terms of overall what it is realistically capable of.

Defensively speaking, ASU bled the Buffs through the air, bled them on the ground and found ways to make chunky gains at almost every turn. Ultimately, and I assume this will be the case all year, the D played better than the offense. A 14-10 game in the third quarter should not be unmanageable for any competent offense worth its salt, but that being said, there were numerous drives where ASU was backed up deep in its own zone that saw the defense allow an explosive play.

Terrance Lang's facemask penalty of Jayden Daniels was frustrating, but a what-are-ya-gonna-do kind of moment. His late hit on Daniels was idiotic. You'll recall that both 15-yarders came on third downs, extended ASU drives and directly led to TDs.

What I'm getting at is that on the whole, if there was any illusion that CU's defense is a superhuman unit capable of holding things down for en entire game, I think that was dashed tonight in Tempe.

Reactions: Mizzou53Buff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News