ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Gustav bonds with Eliot during Colorado visit

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
lk5xfqjmwxcwmigrsmcn

This early in the recruiting process, schools throw offers out to prospects left and right, and you really have to wait until at least the summer to see who emerges as the top targets for the school.

That's not the case when it comes to San Bernardino (Calif.) Aquinas outside linebacker/defensive end Joshka Gustav.

Colorado offered Gustav on January 30, and Buffs' defensive coordinator DJ Eliot invited Gustav to come experience Boulder. Gustav is serious about CU, so he quickly made the trip out to Boulder.

"I thought it was great," Gustav said about his visit last weekend. "I really love the University; I love the program. There are some great things going on there. I liked the defensive coaches; they were super nice to me.

"I had a long film session with coach Eliot. We talked about the defense and all of their schemes. They told me what to improve on and what I do well. They want me at Colorado.

"We talked a lot about football and their schemes. They want me to understand everything.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder was able to watch Colorado's scrimmage on Saturday and liked what he saw from the linebackers and coach Eliot.

"They have a great group of outside linebackers and inside linebackers too," Gustav said. "The whole defense is aggressive and fast. They're all going to the ball. They have a great defense.

"I really like [Eliot's] coaching style. He's more of a calm guy. He understands when people make mistakes. He likes to correct them instead of yelling at them. Obviously, he has to yell at times, but he tries to make them better by teaching them."

Making a commitment to Colorado did cross his mind, but Gustav and his family agreed it would be best to let the recruiting process play out more.

"I talked to my parents about it, and we all came to the conclusion that I should not commit," said Gustav. "We're going to see what other coaches show interest and maybe offer me."

Along with an offer from Colorado, Gustav was recently offered by UNLV and said that Washington State has been showing a lot of interest.

Gustav plans on visiting San Diego State soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News