ADVERTISEMENT

OT - I feel like I'm walking a health tightrope

NCBuff

Buff Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Dear Supporters and Buff Friends,

I wanted to give you all an update on my cancer journey and share how things have been going lately.

Recently, I had my scans reviewed and faced some tough decisions about my treatment. They hit the pause button on my infusions and suggested I take a breather. So, I've been trying to listen to my body, and understand what it needs during this difficult time.

The anniversary of my diagnosis brings up a lot of emotions and fear. Fast forward to my appointment on June 24th, where I got some answers and a lot of confusing medical jargon. Apparently, pausing treatment could impact the clinical trial statistics.

A suggestion was made to administer a double dose every six weeks, but that’s not feasible as handling a single dose is already challenging. Due to the acquisition of Atrium Health by another company, continuing treatment with any changes would be nearly impossible. My insurance provider, UHC, would also have to determine if they will cover the $77,000 dollar cost every three weeks, which is doubtful.

On a positive note, my blood work is looking a bit better, likely due to the six-week break. I’ve had genome testing done and will soon know if there are still cancer cells circulating in my body. Dr. P thinks there might be.

Diane and I escaped to the mountains for a two-day break to celebrate a wedding anniversary that we weren’t certain would take place because of the advanced state of my chronic disease. A highlight of our trip was a personal tour of the Carlton Art Gallery by the owner, Toni, who gave us the back story on many of the works of art. We bonded over a captivating painting of a tenacious calf named Rosie. At her birth, she was unresponsive. Amazingly, the next morning she was very much alive and suckling her mother’s milk. Lesson learned…don’t let life’s curveballs keep you down. I pray that, like Rosie, I can do the same as I channel her resilient spirit.

My next infusion is scheduled for July 15th. Hopefully, I will have the results of the genome study by then.

Lately, I’ve been feeling grumpy, irritated and itchy post-infusion, something Diane pointed out. It’s a constant battle between quality and quantity of life.

I feel like I’m on a tightrope, but I remain hopeful and grateful for you, my personal cheering squad.

Thank you for standing by me through this journey. If you can spare any support, whether it’s a donation or just a good joke to lift my spirits, please do so. Click here

With all my love and gratitude, Craig Brown – Shoulder To Shoulder - (NCBuff)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News