ADVERTISEMENT

One thing we need to improve this weekend

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
Breaking tackles. We did a poor job at that against UNC. We allowed too many arm and shoe string tackles take us down. I thought for sure we would run through several of those and we ended up going down.

A&M has speed on defense and they are going to get hands on the ball carrier quickly. Whoever has the ball needs to break that first tackle or we are going to have a hell of a time scoring. I mean, we may not score at all if we don't fix that. Even Broussard went down a few times on plays he breaks a year ago. Receivers didn't make a guy miss or break a tackle. Not good! We, on the other hand, couldn't often make that first tackle.

I see A&M putting 8 in the box on most formations we use in this game. They are going to shoot the gaps and get us into 2nd and longs. Chances of us getting a 1st down from 2nd and 9 is a long shot. Play book shrinks and we are putting in an uncomfortable place. We're more likely to turn a 2nd and 9 into a 3rd and 7 or 8 than a 3rd and 2 or 3. A&M is probably crunching the numbers and realizing that just stopping us on 1st down whether a short pass or a run is the real key. We're not dropping back with any confidence and carving their defensive backfield up. The key for us avoiding 2nd and long is to break tackles. It's like premium for this contest. They are going to hit us and we need to break that tackle and pick up a few more yards. Turn 2nd and 9 into 2nd and 5 or 6. So many more options when we do that. We can run or pass and keep them on their toes and get them in mismatches.

On the other side, obviously it's the opposite. We need to make the tackle when we get hands on people. A&M's dudes will go a LONG ways if they break a tackle. They have game breakers at every spot on offense and a missed tackle is a huge play without a doubt. Can't play D like we did against UNC. Have to get to the QB, keep him contained, tackle him when he takes off and tackle any ball carrier with the first man there, not the 3rd. Game could get out of hand fast if we don't. A&M looking at our film against UNC and is probably saying to themselves, 'Kent St. is better than those Buffs. We should kill them.'

I look forward to our guys playing a great deal tougher this game. Was pretty disappointed in some of the effort to say the least. Nationally televised game so hopefully we play with a lot more urgency and a non vanilla game plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News