ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma transfer Robert Barnes aiding in the recruitment of '22 Southlake Carroll (TX) corner Avyonne Jones

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Before he gets his shot to make a splash on the gridiron for the Buffaloes, Oklahoma transfer Robert Barnes is attempting to do so for CU on the recruiting trail.

Colorado has been progressing with Class of 2022 corner Avyonne Jones, a three-star prospect out of Southlake Carroll High School in the Dallas/Ft. Worth suburbs.

Inside linebackers coach Mark Smith was the one to offer Jones, shortly after being hired by Karl Dorrell in early February, and the two had known each other for a few years beforehand.

"I actually had a previous relationship with (Smith) when he was still at Arkansas," Jones said. "That’s how I had known coach Smith — I’d gone to a bunch of camps at Arkansas and seen him there. As soon as he got to Colorado, we had still kind of kept in touch, but he said he was going to end up reaching out. I talk to coach Smith probably once or twice a week now.”

While Smith used his prior connection to Jones to lay the initial groundwork with the 6-foot-0, 180-pound prospect, Jones' prospective position coach in Boulder, Demetrice Martin, has also stepped in and built a good foundation.

That's also where Barnes enters the story, as he has relayed to Jones his favorable opinion of Martin and defensive coordinator Chris Wilson.

“I text 'coach Meat' probably every day," Jones said. "We text about all sorts of things, not even always football, but he’s a great dude. I know Robert Barnes is down (in Boulder) and he spoke the world about 'coach Meat' and (Chris Wilson) at Colorado.

Barnes, a former Carroll Dragon himself, Class of 2017, signed with Oklahoma in the fall of 2015 and played in 34 games for the Sooners between 2017 and 2020. He has been listed as a hybrid LB/S and Dorrell has indicated that he'll be practicing at multiple positions come spring, including the STAR backer.

Barnes' stamp of approval did much to improve CU's standing with Jones, who Monday named the Buffs in a Top 10 list.

"For him to be like: ‘This is a coaching staff that I really like and it’s really easy to reach out and develop a relationship’ — that meant a lot," Jones said. “I look at Robert as an older brother. I’ve always talked to him and been in touch with (him). He’s just someone I’ve always looked up to and especially with him texting me about the opportunity to come play with him (at Colorado), it’s surreal. I never thought that would be possible.”

Jones has conducted a virtual visit with the Buffs already, where he got a taste of campus, CU's facilities, uniforms and Boulder itself.

Now, he's been in talks with Smith to schedule a more thorough and in-depth virtual visit with the Buffalos, one he described as being designed to show him "what would a day in the life of a football player at Colorado be?"

In terms of how he'd fit in at CU, Jones and Martin have discussed that at length already, with Martin wanting him to play the position he currently does in Southlake, cornerback.

That said, Jones has no qualms about stepping out of his comfort zone in the name of seeing early action as a freshman, something that Martin and CU defensive pass game coordinator Brett Maxie have shown a tendency to do.

"I feel like one of the worst things you can do as a DB is limit yourself to a specific position," he said. "They all take similar skill sets and I feel like it’s best for me and the coaches to keep an open mind...if the best way for me to see the field as a freshman is to play nickel, then by all means I’ll go out there and play nickel.”

Only one day after releasing his Top 10, Jones reeled in offers from Liberty and Mississippi State, a clear indication that his recruitment is far from over.

Ultimately, Jones said he plans to commit before his senior season at Carroll begins and as of right now, the Buffs look like they hold a prominent place among the pack of programs vying for his talents.

Good-looking player that I think is definitely better than a 5.5RR. His offer sheet keeps growing and is full of big-time opportunities. Hearing the Barnes factor is awesome. That connection may end up being huge for the Buffs and Smith knowing him for a few years prior to joining CU/offering also seems like a plus.

Overall, there's interviews now and again stick out and I'd say Jones was definitely one of them. Friendly, polite and intelligent young man. He'd be a welcomed addition to Colorado's Class of 2022 and a nice tag-team finish by Smith and Martin, with the assist from Barnes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News