ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive position battles article

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/7/17/...ion-battles-on-offense-should-be-intense.aspx

Interesting that they don't list Poplawski in the TE position battle article. Maybe it's because he wasn't available in the spring and thus hasn't entered the battle yet. I am very interested in that battle though. I'm very curious to see what has become on Jones and whether he has improved his route running and catching ability. Big, fast, guy who blocks fairly well. There seems to be something to work with there. Wish he got the redshirt a year ago and we were talking about a junior this year. Would be OK as far as TE depth goes the next 2 years if that were the case. I still wonder if it isn't a bad idea to redshirt here and only play in 4 games if you really like Harris, Russell, and Bisharat here but I'm guessing that only happens if Poplawski steps up.

Also, they mention Kutsch, Roddick, and Austin Johnson as competing for the open guard spot. How big of a player is Johnson for one of these spots? Can a true freshman really compete for playing time? I'm not talking 4 games and a redshirt either. I'm talking being in the primary rotation if not a starter. It seems he and Mangham, of all the freshmen we've had since we've done early enrollees, has taken advantage of those early reps and development more than any of them.

A couple of names not mentioned, Frank Filip and Sauvao. Was that just a mistaken omission or are those 2 unlikely to play? Filip may make sense just to save a year and let him be a 3 year starter (probably better for his career), but Sauvao got here in the spring and one would think he would compete. Was playing RG in the spring and I know they expect Pursell or Lynott to be there, so maybe he's already settled as a backup and not competing for a starting spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News