ADVERTISEMENT

OC's Rock and Hard Place

Tatonka82

Senior Starter
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2015
Let me preface with, I've never coached at the college level. I have, however been a head coach / OC for 25 years at a small Colorado HS and for 99% of that time, I dealt with exactly what coach DC faces at this moment; a solid starting QB with no viable backup. I'm not going to even begin to say that I know exactly how coach Dorrell or DC should handle the QB position and the exposure to injury for the starter, but I know from experience how difficult it is to call plays when you're one play away from grabbing your knee knocking, teeth chattering freshman QB that has trouble taking a snap from center, let alone, calling the play correctly in the huddle or lining up behind the guard instead of the center because he's so nervous, not to mention mow much of the playbook you have to throw out because he simply can't execute it.

My mindset if I was the CU offensive staff would be that if we're in the game, we let it fly in terms of the playbook, but if we're up or down big, we limit the starter's exposure to injury. Yet even that is a big gamble knowing you're one hit away from going to that teeth chattering true freshman. With that said, with a 4 point lead against the #5 team in the country, I think we have to stay aggressive and stay with what my QB does well, which for B Lewis is of course using his legs on designed run plays for the QB. I would avoid the 5-7 step drop as much as possible because he's more likely to take shots he can't protect himself from versus designed runs where he has better control of the situation and can get down without taking the big, blindside hit.

I hope we're in a position to win every game we play the rest of the way, but I do understand the rock and a hard place position coach Dorrell is in. Imagine having to go into every game the rest of the season without 70% of the playbook? Not only that, but now your back up QB is a walk-on!!!!! If that's not a rock and a hard place position to be in I don't know what is.

Welcome other thoughts on this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News