ADVERTISEMENT

Nov. 30 7 a.m. Rumor Mill Update

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
*** Friday, November 30

7 a.m.

- Everyday that passes now sees more and more rumors. I'm going to write a story today about five trending candidates -- guys who are being talked about the most lately for the job. The five are Jim Leavitt, Jimmy Lake, Ryan Day, Mel Tucker, and Derek Mason.

- I was told late last night (I was already asleep) that Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker has interviewed for the Colorado head coach position. His name is picking up some steam.

- I'm also told that the Derek Mason (Vanderbilt HC) rumors have some legs. He has been in contact with Colorado.

- Tweet from Troy Renck on the search: Reports have connected #CUBuffs to Georgia D coordinator Mel Tucker, Vanderbilt's Derek Mason and Oregon and former Buffs coordinator Jim Leavitt, but keep an eye on Ohio State's Ryan Day. He would be home run hire IMO. Showed was ready when filling for Meyer. #Denver7

- A radio guy in Tennessee seems pretty confident that Derek Mason will not be coming to Colorado: "Vanderbilt football Coach Derek Mason was reportedly drawing interest from Colorado. He will not be going to Colorado. Derek Mason will remain at Vanderbilt."

- Here's what Ryan Day said yesterday about coaching rumors: “I don't read any of that stuff,” Day said. “I just know that any time you have opportunities, it's because of the guys around you, but more important than that, this is all about winning this championship. I'm so proud of the way these guys came out and played last week after everything we've been through this year. Nothing would be better than to go win this thing here and really play well in this championship game because the way they came out and finished the season, in terms of the regular season with a game like that, really speaks to who these kids are. Couldn't be prouder.”

- Yesterday, Yahoo's Pete Thamel tweeted that three names keep coming up in the CU search -- Mason, Leavitt, and Tucker. That has really added up with what I'm hearing. A few days ago, I wrote in this thread about the Jim Leavitt buzz I was hearing, and like I said in this update already, Tucker and Mason are both real candidates. Thamel and I are hearing similar things.

- Still plenty of buzz around Jimmy Lake and Ryan Day though. My concern with Day is that if he has some success, he may be gone in 2-3 years for another opening. I could see Lake sticking around for a while. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News