ADVERTISEMENT

Note on the grad transfers (namely Robert Barnes and Jack Lamb)

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
I wanted to make a quick note on the status of Colorado's graduate transfers, as many of their absences last night undoubtedly were noticed by you all. First off, Jack Lamb was the only one to see the field and he did so very late in the game with a heavily freshman unit out there. Specifically, Lamb took the field when the Buffs were rolling with freshmen Nikko Reed and Kaylin Moore at corner and freshmen Trevor Woods and Tyrin Taylor at safety.

Quinn Perry ate up the lion's share of snaps at the Will ILB spot and from what I saw, CU didn't whip out their three-linebacker package at all against UNC.

Robert Barnes I have heard is sidelined with a groin ailment; not sure on his status or timetable for return aside from that's why he missed Friday's game. As for Max Wray, I feel safe in assuming the sore shoulder he was battling towards the end of camp is wha prevented him from taking the field.

And then there's center Noah Fenske. Out of the transfer bunch, he's the main question mark. Throughout camp he was listed as No. 2 at center behind Colby Pursell and on CU's first depth chart he was nowhere to be seen; not that he was exclusive in that regard. At any rate, I admit I'm not 100% sure what his deal is. Will look to ask HCKD about that ASAP.

But getting back to Lamb, I think his lack of playing time might stem from a mutual over-expectation situation on the part of the fan base — naturally, it's expected grad transfers will come in quickly and start — as well as the media (me included) asking a good deal of questions about Lamb, starting the conversation around him that may ultimately have proven to overshadow some of the other guys in that room, namely Perry.

Not sure what Lamb's role will be moving forward; he very well could see the field more, especially in that three ILB package, but I found his absence yesterday surprising as well as potentially telling.

Reactions: snead45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News