ADVERTISEMENT

New d-line coach: Could HCMT look for familiar faces?

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Let's preface by saying here and now that the Jimmy Brumbaugh to Tennessee situation, as I type this now at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, has NOT been finalized. Brian Howell of the Daily Camera reported that if Brumbaugh indeed accepts this position before Friday, he's owe CU $100,000 in order to leave.

With that being said, I'll admit that here and now, hours after this news broke, it's hard to predict where Mel Tucker is exactly in identifying candidates to be his new defensive line coach. What I'll say from here on out should be seen as simply speculation, at least for now as the Brumbaugh situation evolves.

But I do wonder, when HCMT goes about finding his next d-line coach, if he'll not retrace his own coaching steps to an extent. I'm looking specifically at Georgia's Tray Scott, who has been the d-line coach for the Bulldogs since 2017. Could Tucker try to poach him?

Prior to that, from 2015-16, he was d-line coach at UNC, where Chris Kapilovic was then coaching at the time.

In terms of financials, Scott earned $470K in 2019 with Georgia.

Based on this BuffZone breakdown of the CU Regents' approvals of Tucker and his staff's contracts last February, in 2020 the assistant coaching staff (including Brumbaugh) was set to make a combined $3.44M.

That breaks down as such:

Johnson: $600K
Summers: $500K
Chiaverini: $500K (100K inc. from 2019 based on his promotion to AHC)
(Brumbaugh): $450K
Kapilovic: $425K
Els: $275K
Hagan: $225K
Tillman: $225K
Michalowski: $185K
Pupunu: $145K

Getting back to Scott, right off the bat, obviously him coming to CU would most likely be a pay cut situation, but in similar fashion to how Tucker recruits players to Colorado, I'm interested to see how he can work his magic on the Buffs' next potential d-line coach.

Curious of everyone's thoughts here, and again, I know this is very early in the game. Think Tucker tries to recruit coaches he's had personal experience with? Does he look up to the NFL to see what he can find? Maybe flex some old connections there? It will be interesting to see how he does operate here in the coming days/weeks, if of course indeed Brumbaugh is out.

Reactions: NCBuff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News