ADVERTISEMENT

*** Monday night recruiting nuggets

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
- The Ty Evans flip to NC State was a surprise. I was very shocked to see his tweet that he flipped. It's not so much the flip that was the surprise -- more of the timing. Evans was set to meet with Mel Tucker and Darrin Chiaverini on Thursday. I don't know at this point of that is still going to happen. Evans seemed a little upset that he had to wait until Thursday to meet with Tucker, but also.... Evans was supposed to officially visit last weekend but went to NC State instead, and Tucker is on the road recruiting....

Evans did talk with Tucker late last week but Evans was all about Coach Roper. Chiaverini being retained didn't mean a whole lot to Evans at the end of the day. Evans was really close with Roper..

Evans was considering visiting Michigan State this weekend but it just didn't work out logistically.... Heading into Thursday's visit, the vibe on the CU side of things was they'd get things worked out with Evans and sell him on the pride and tradition of the in-state CU Buffs, and that it's not all about the coaching staff. I'm intrigued to see if that visit still happens.

- Mel Tucker's first couple days on the job were him getting acquainted and doing all sorts of interviews. Over the weekend, he was with the in-state official visitors. On Monday and the rest of this week before the recrutiing weekend, it's all about rounding out the staff and recruiting. Tucker will be back in Boulder on Thursday. He visited RB commit Jaren Mangham for an in-home with Darius Hagan and CU also dished out a new offer to Boston College LB Marvin Ham in Michigan. I was told that they'd stop in with Darius Robinson too. Retaining Kwahn Drake really helps out CU for Robinson but that is a tight battle with Syracuse and the Michigan schools.

- I'm not 100% certain where Tucker will be on Tuesday. I know that on Wednesday and Thursday Tucker will be in Southern California. Chiaverini will be there with him. They're going to see Carl Jones, Mark Perry, Tarik Luckett, Na'im Rodman, Titus Toler, Jaylen Martin, Braedin Huffman-Dixon -- all of the SoCal commits over a two day span. I'm not sure if Maurice Wilmer is in the plans for Tucker in terms of keeping him in this class. Wonder if they'll stop in to see former commit KJ Trujillo as well.

- I keep hearing that this weekend is going to be a "big one" for Colorado. While there aren't any set in stone definitive plans on the visitor list as of earlier on Monday, I am told that Colorado plans to use the new NCAA rule that allows recruits who already visited Colorado to return for another official visit due to a head coaching change. It's going to be a wild, wild week.

- Going to leave you with one final nugget that you all will like... I heard that Chiaverini had an in-home visit with La'Vontae Shenault tonight. He is not giving up on Viska's brother, who is committed to Texas Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News