ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Missed targets

William Whelan

Buff All-American
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
There's always a ton of talk about guys CU has recruited, gotten to campus, and/or ultimately missed on. I put together a quick list of recent guys and what they've done, along with my thoughts on whether or not they'd have started/contributed in Boulder.

2013:
Jabari Bird, 5*, Cal: He's been a solid contributor, at times, for Cal. He's simply inconsistent, but there's no denying his immense talent. He's been the x-factor for Cal when they're at their best, so I have a hard time imagining he wouldn't contribute in Boulder.
Darin Johnson, 4*, UW/CSU-Northridge: Not a miss at all. Couldn't impact the game at the P12 level while at UW, despite having zero pressure on him.
Dakarai Allen, 4*, SDSU: Even in his third year, he hasn't found a way to improve his offense enough and his physical toughness still lacks. Not a Pac-12 player.
Leyton Hammonds, 3*, Okie State: Solid contributor for the Cowboys in his third year, but I'd personally take Fletcher, King, and Fortune over him pretty clearly. CU definitely upgraded.
Wesley Iwundu, 3*, KSU: Really good attacking the basket, but not a shooter whatsoever. Like his game, but think CU did just fine for themselves here. He would have been an upgrade over Thomas and Hopkins, but wouldn't consider this a miss.
Hunter Myers, 3*, Harvard: Hasn't done anything at Harvard. good pass by Boyle.
Torren Jones, 3*, Mizzou/Fresno State: The firs recruit we encounter that Boyle slow played and shouldn't have. Jones would have given CU a ton of great depth on the inside and help shore up next season's interior. This is a miss.

2014:
Josh Perkins, 4*, Gonzaga:
Obviously this is a unique situation here. I think Josh would be starting here because his presence means no Dom. Love Josh's future in CBB.
Casey Benson, 3*, Oregon: I love me some Casey Benson, definitely think he would be the starting point guard here in Boulder if, for some reason, he and Dom were here together. But they wouldn't be, so there's that.
Chris Sandifer, 4*, UTEP: Headcase, academic risk, and all around a great pass by CU
Dorian Pickens, 4*, Stanford: CU really liked Dorian, but I think they're better off without him actually. Sure, he could be good for depth purposes, and to have another sharp shooter, but CU is fine on the wing without him.
Trey Kell, 4*, SDSU: Think Kell is going to be very good and would have been a nice 2nd ball handler option for CU. This is a miss.
Zylan Cheatham, 4*, SDSU: Perfect MWC guy, don't like him at all as a P12 guy.
DJ Wilson, 3*, Michigan: Not a power conference player whatsoever.
Yante Maten, 3*, Georgia: This is a big, big miss. Yante visited before Tory and Welsh, and is better than both.
Thomas Welsh, 4*, UCLA: Welsh is obviously a very good player, but is such a defensive liability. Still, he would be playing a lot for CU, I'd imagine.
Idrissa Diallo, 3*, Boston College: Torn ACL, didn't play.
David Wacker, 3*, Boise State: Miller is the better player and it's not entirely close here. Not a miss at all.

2015:
Tyler Dorsey, 5*, Oregon:
Obviously, this is a big miss. Dorsey is a monster.
Justin Simon, 4*, Arizona: Guy isn't a power 5 player right now. Not a miss, though his ceiling is huge.
Jeremy Hemsley, 4*, SDSU: Big miss, Hemsley is going to be a MWC POY very soon after being FOY.
Rex Pflueger, 4*, Notre Dame: Not a miss, at all.
Landry Shamet, 4*, Wichita State: Injured, so we'll have to wait and see still. But early returns were that he's a darn good player. Would have contributed this season on the perimeter.
Malek Harwell, 3*, Boise St.: Injured, but not a miss here.
Bennie Boatright, 4*, USC: Big miss, but Boatright cut the Buffs before his narrowed his ultimate choices.
Cameron Walker, 4*, Stanford: He wouldn't play in Boulder, just isn't a high level enough player.
Jimmy Whitt, 4*, Arkansas: Definitely think he would have contributed, but he's not as good as I thought he'd be. Lot of time left to know whether this is a miss.
Noah Blackwell, 3*, Long Beach St.: Nope, not a miss.
New Williams, 3*, Auburn: Nope, not a miss.

As you can see, there are a handful of guys that CU could obviously use, but for the most part, they're better off with the guys they've gotten out of their true targets. The misses in these three classes obviously stick out, but it's not as lopsided as some have been saying in recent months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News