ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Can we overreact now?

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
Is it OK? We can stop the "we would have lost this game last year" comments finally. This team is not actually as good as the team a year ago right now. This game is a microcosm of how the team has played all year sans the ASU game. Sloppy on both ends of the court and only cold shooting from our opponents saved us in all but 1 of our 7 wins. UNI did not do us the favor of being cold. They came to play and they were well coached. We all knew we weren't a top 25 team and had not played like one all season outside of the ASU game which consequently got us into the top 25 after not making the preseason poll. I'm sure the pollsters are pissed that they believed in us and good luck getting ranked again this season. We won't receive votes now.

Bad shooting from our opponents has covered up major holes in the defense we've complained about. The holes were exposed today plus some great shooting from UNI's big 3. The coach's son was lights out. Despite a historic day from Siewert, we just couldn't keep up. Lazy passes and poor spacing got us, again, then couldn't close the deal at the end with a 3 pointer that was no where near the level of shooting our opponent could do.

As for CU, it is clear the woes here are systematic. They are all on Tad. We are not well coached on either end of the floor and we don't make up for it with great recruiting. This is supposed to be a special team. A year when we return 2 all conference players and all these other guys who are solid support guys. The team is none of that and hasn't looked like it on any night. No one is intimidated by us now... after seeing how woeful we were against KU. They know they can beat us and really kind of expect it. CSU is going to really be gunning for us. We are so vulnerable right now. We make getting baskets look so hard. Today, we somehow made rebounding look so hard. So many balls bouncing off our hands. We gave them so many 2nd chance opportunities. Loose balls, as always, are the other teams balls. Our guys do not ever make hustle plays.

This is a really hard team to like. In fact, it might be my least likable team of the Boyle era. Close to the Askia Booker lead senior team of 4 years ago in terms of yuck factor. I couldn't figure it out before but it's the floor attitude. Not a great deal of effort. No excitement in terms of play (can't run a fast break to save their lives). Visible pouting. Bad body language. This cannot be the best we can do. I'm sorry for the people that say this is the best it gets at CU, but it just can't be. There has to be better. With as much as we've finally invested in basketball can we not do better than this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News