ADVERTISEMENT

K.D. Nixon breaks down draft declaration announcement

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
A brief press conference with K.D. Nixon was held at the CU Events Center before the MBB game last night, so that he could field questions about his recent decision to forego his senior season at Colorado and instead declare for the NFL Draft.

Nixon and Laviska Shenault become the first pair of Colorado players to declare for the draft in the same season since 1995, when Rashaan Salaam and Shannon Clavelle did so. Salaam was a first round pick, Clavelle was a sixth rounder... (credit Brian Howell of the Daily Camera for the above note...he tweeted that a few days ago).

For Nixon, his decision was made largely due to faith: in terms of in himself and in religion.

"(I've) just (been) praying a lot. I let God take full control and I think (entering the Draft) is the best decision for me," he said. "I always believe in myself and I don’t worry about others."

Nixon was asked a lot during the press conference about what weighed into his decision not to return for his senior season and more bluntly, for his thoughts on having an uphill battle in terms of making an NFL roster, let along get drafted.

Nixon wrapped his junior season at CU with 35 receptions for 465 yards and three TDs, all of which were third on the team behind Shenault and Tony Brown.

“I didn’t have the season I wanted to, but I also know what I can do," he said. "When I do get the opportunity, (I’ll) fulfill it...You just have to believe in yourself, keep trusting the process and when you get the opportunity, take full belief in it and apply the pressure.”

From a reflective point of view, Nixon said that this year's win over Nebraska and his dramatic, 96-yard flea flicker for a TD was his favorite game and moment in a Buffaloes uniform.

“That’ll put my name in the record books and it was a good chance to finally showcase what I can do on a deep run," of the game and play. "That was one of my best memories. (In 2018), I wasn’t able to finish the Nebraska game, so being able to perform, get a lot of balls, opportunities and showcase what I can do (vs. Nebraska this year) — I’m very thankful for that.”

Nixon spoke highly of his time working under CU WRs coach Darrin Chiaverini, from the recruiting trail and throughout college.

“He helped all of us as receivers," Nixon said. "He recruited me first. I remember he came to my school and said ‘K.D., I want you to be at Colorado.’ I was like ‘wow — you recruited me at Texas Tech and then Colorado, there’s no doubt that you’re going to be a special person in my life.’ Coach Chev is really a coach that I appreciate, and I guarantee you any other wide receive would say the same thing.”

Nixon seemed to appreciate that he's not going to be a first round pick. He seemed far from deterred at that reality.

“Whether (I’m) first round or not first round, (I’m) going to always believe it that (I) have first-round talent, no matter what," Nixon said. "Maybe you haven’t seen mine, but I guarantee you, once I get the opportunity, it’s going to be a whole different talk...People don’t believe until you show them you believe in yourself.”

***My own 2 cents here is that Nixon decided in his mind before this season even started that he was going pro after junior year. K.D. was a good leader in the locker room with his fellow WRs and I wish his absolutely the best, yet personally I do worry about him living up to his own expectations.

Good on him for believing in himself. I hope the NFL shares that same belief when the time comes for him to find a home in the league.

Reactions: Mizzou53Buff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News