ADVERTISEMENT

Javier Edwards: What is he missing?

roberto 345

All-Pac 12
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2007
After reading most of the comments regarding this player, I’m going to set the record straight. I’m a former NSCA Certified Strength/Condtioning Coach & was also Certified through the US Weightlifting Federation. I was a presenter at NSCA conventions as well as many other fitness/ sport conventions in the US. I also trained many famous athletes to make them shine above all others.

Regarding Edwards, there is a way to determine how much power an athlete possesses. Sport science labs use force plates to determine explosive ability of an athlete. I am not sure if CU has this system in their labs , but other schools do have it. Other ways to determine explosive ability are the use of ployo balls using specific movements and measurements to determine upper and lower body power.

A strong person is not necessarily a powerful person. Powerful athletes usually have abundant fast twitch fiber. Endurance athletes have abundant slow twitch fiber. You don’t train football players by having them do abundant long distance running. A long time ago, there was a defensive end from the Minnesota Vikings who bragged about running marathons in the off season. His naive coach never questioned this stupid training....Also, I can remember when CU had a running back that was a body builder (I don’t remeber his name, but he looked great as a body builder). Another stupid way of training for football because you are doing high reps, slow training, and working on non athletic training.

Football players must generate explosive power in a small space,usually within 10 yards, which requires much anaerobic training. They must use their athletic ability, plus their power to defeat their opponent no matter what position. What also comes into play is their technique. In high school bad technique can be overcome by superior athleticism in many cases. When it comes to college and pros, you better have the total package of technique, power, strength, agility, stamina, desire to obliterate your opponent, and much more.

Edwards doesn't need to be doing all those squats with over 400 pounds. It is a recipe for disaster. Squatting should never be endurance based when using heavy weight as it is a technique lift that if done wrong, could lead to injury. The same applies to the Olympic lifts. I always applied the rule of no more than 8 reps when doing heavy technique lifts including deadlifts. Once you get tired, your technique suffers and chance of injury occurs. All lifting should be subject to a periodized program which changes perameters for each season of the year. Meaning, you have a period of time focused on strength/power/ ; another on muscular endurance, another on hypertrophy, as well and others depending upon the needs of the player. It is up to the S&C coach and head coach to determine the specific needs of the athlete and to overcome those weaknesses and needs during the yearly cycle of training.

I could go on and on, but it could get too involved. Proper training is a science which the S&C coach must know on top of his ability to motivate the athlete and oversee big time results. From my point, Edwards needs more explosive training, weight loss, lots of football technique drills, and a coach or coaches who inspire him to be mean and aggressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News