ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Folsom Field: October 5th (Depth Chart Added)

B

Brie Thomas

Wednesday Coach MacIntyre Interview

=============================================================

cz3p2wffsjlx8yvppdw7

Tuesday Press Conference:
Coach MacIntyre:
"Our guys are excited about playing USC, they are a heck of a football team, you know playing in the Coliseum, in football, it's a phenomenal place to play, it's a great venue, it's a special place, were excited about going there. They've got a good football team since they've put Sam Darnold in at quarterback, he is an athlete that's making plays, to me, it looks like they've basically changed their entire offense in the last two weeks and they are moving the ball and getting the ball to their playmakers."

"We're just going to play it out through the week and then see how healthy Sefo is, it will really be a game-time decision again on how we do it. Sefo's health is the biggest key in it."

"We knew he had the ability, we've seen him do it in the spring and fall camp and you know he was able to play a little bit in a few games, the Michigan when he got thrown in there, in that situation, Sefo had been playing so well and then we got behind and their D-line kind of feasted on us a little bit, that was a tough situation to put him in. I knew he would play well against Oregon, did I know he would do that well, but I knew our team would rally behind him, our receivers made some phenomenal plays to help him and I was really pleased with what Steven did, I think Steven is a heck of a quarterback, I feel like we can definitely win with Steven in for us at quarterback against anybody we play."

Rick Gamboa:
"Not too much different besides the quarterback change that they have, the new quarterback that they have, he's a little different from the old one, he's more mobile and they use him a lot more in the running game but offensively they've been getting the ball to their playmakers out in space and they've been running the ball with a lot of success, so that's the big part that we see."

"We definitely take a lot of pride in it, that's a big emphasis we have as a team, you know we always want to get at least three turnovers game, just to have that streak alive, were working on turnovers, no matter if it's an interception, fumbles, anything we can as long as we can get the offense the ball back," On the turnover streak.

Shay Fields:
"It feels great to be ranked but as a team, we want to be lower and that only comes with winning more games along the road in the PAC 12, were satisfied but not too satisfied, we're still hungry."

"We have respect to earn from everybody honestly, this is our first time being ranked, we just got to go out and prove that we are a ranked team. Some teams just don't respect us, we just got to make them believers."

"Just winning games, you have to win games in order to make people believers so that's what we have to come out and do."

"When Montez is down we kind of pick him up a little more than we do Sefo cause he's a more experienced guy as you can tell but we still pretty much handle it like he's our leader on the field when Sefo is not there."

==================================================================

October 3rd Practice Report:
BOULDER-- Today was the first practice the Buffs have had since 2005 where they were practicing as a ranked team. But for them, that's not what they are focusing on.

"It's always nice to be recognized but our focus is today, tomorrow and the next day, all the work ethic we've done and that will take care of us on Saturday, that's what our focus is but it's nice to be recognized."

"It's nice to get recognized of course but we still have so much to go, when you step on the field nobody cares if you're ranked or not, so we just got to go and keep preparing with the intensity that we've had this whole time," Montez on being ranked.

Sefo Liufau and Steven Montez both got reps at practice today.

"Sefo practiced today a little more and did well."

"I don't call it a problem, I call it a great thing, you have two quarterbacks that you know you can win with and to me, that's really good, there's a lot of schools that don't know that or wish they did and so we do know that."

This weekend the Buffs will take on USC, the Buffs have never beaten the Trojans and will a have a tough road ahead of them playing in the coliseum and despite being ranked the Buffs still open the game as underdogs.

"They are very very talented, playmakers all over the offensive field, they basically have completely changed their offense in the last game and a half, they did it in the Utah game but this last game was almost like a completely different offense. The quarterback is an excellent athlete, he's getting the ball out of his hands to the other playmakers, basically a spread football team with a phenomenal athletic tight end."

"I think anytime you play USC is a dangerous time and going there to play, they are a good football team, our guys will be ready to play though, they'll be excited about playing."

So far throughout the season the leadership on this team as been astronomical and it's clear to see especially when the team is down or struggling to move the ball. The seniors have definitely stepped up this year.

"They were focused, they were focused in meetings, they lifted weights well this morning and I've been impressed with how they've responded."

"They take it one game at a time, I think they proved that last week, were playing an excellent football team this Saturday, I want them to have humble confidence, big difference and I think they understand that and I think they do that."

A main concern for the Buffs this season was how would the offensive line play and throughout the first five games that question and doubt have been answered.

"They've played well all year, we had the one little spurt there in the Michigan game where they knew we were having to throw and they got some dudes and I didn't think that they played terrible in that situation but overall I've thought they've played well all year, they've played well enough in the games for us to have a chance to win but I do think Saturday the pocket was really clean, made it very comfortable for the quarterback."

The Buffs will go to USC at the top of the PAC 12 and have a good chance to win it this season if they keep playing like they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News