ADVERTISEMENT

I watched Chase Penry last night — here's what I saw

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
I made it out to Cherry Creek yesterday evening to take a look at Buffs wideout commit Chase Penry.

Since he committed at the end of January and then stayed on with the Buffs once Karl Dorrell was brought in and got settled, I was interested to take a look at him in person.

You could say there was something of a build up to me getting to last night's game vs. Smoky Hill — a 35-14 comfortable victory for the Bruins. All throughout the spring and summer, Penry had been posting various videos of him working out and running routes.

Like this one, for example:

That definitely piqued my interest and I have to say, I was not disappointed last night. Penry is a superb route runner. His footwork you can tell that he's put a lot of time into and I'd say the same for his speed.

Penry, at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, doesn't have the frame that will raise any eyebrows. But he's the type of workhorse WR that will do everything within his power to better himself. I've said this before, but I really do think that Darrin Chiaverini sees a lot of himself as a younger player in Penry.

He's also used in a variety of different ways within the Bruins' offense. I apologize in advance for the below videos — they are long distance, I know — but quite frankly, Cherry Creek had some pretty intense COVID restrictions in place for media last night. I even got relegated to the stands shortly before halftime but I tried by best to get a few clips of Penry.

With five seconds left in the second half, the Bruins had the ball around midfield and were going for a final score before time expired. Penry reeled in a 57-yard TD pass that ended up being negated by a holding call. Cherry Creek steamrolled Smoky Hill, but eclipsed 100 yards of penalties easily by the time a few minutes had passed in the third quarter.

Tried me best to keep a tab on Penry's stat line but I'd estimate it in the 110-120 range. He had one grad for 31 yards that saw him razzle dazzle some DBs as well as fight for yardage after contact. Would have loved to get it on film but he was super far away from me at the time. Penry had a pair of second half TDs as well.

Ultimately, I think Penry has what it takes to be a noticeable success at the next level, even at a school like Colorado, where the WRs room is consistently competitive and crowded. I liked what I saw last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News