ADVERTISEMENT

HCMT yesterday in Cali speaking with donors

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Here's a snippet of the below video featuring Mel Tucker at an event in California speaking with donors.

“In the coaching profession, you have stepping stone jobs, and then you have destination jobs. I see CU as a destination opportunity...I waited 22 years for that right opportunity for a head coaching job.”

Now, at face value, it is hard to take these remarks out of context with respect to the recent Michigan State coaching vacancy news — news that to Tucker's credit, he addressed publicly in a thanks-but-no-thanks manner (I admit I borrow that phrase from the Jon Wilner article that @NCBuff kindly posted to the boards earlier).

Tucker's now doubled down with his above remarks about CU being a destination job for him.

I will say this much — if after the 2020 season, when things potentially go to plan, CU is 6-6 or better, makes (and hopefully wins) a bowl game — I will be coming back to these kinds of remarks. I don't doubt what Tucker said about how he views Colorado as a dream job, but if Michigan State knocks on the door after a 5-7 season, who will be there playing poacher if and when HCMT does return the program to prominence? It will be then, with other and very likely more lucrative offers, that the above quote will be proven to be valid and genuine or not.

I guess what I'm getting at is that bluntly, Tucker in essence will need to stay true to the words he spoke to donors last night in about a year's time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News