ADVERTISEMENT

Going Out On A Limb

RockyMtnMan

All-Pac 12
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
The last five weeks have been difficult to say the least. Following the win over Arizona State that put the Buffs at 5 - 0, I was VERY encouraged. While CU had been playing good football getting to 5 - 0, I thought the Defense was significantly improved and Offense still had it's best days in front of them. Yes, following Arizona State I was encouraged by the product I saw on the field, I thought this group of players was special, and I thought that a bowl game was inevitable. Not just a bowl game, but a good, high profile bowl game. However, despite a 5 - 0 record, vastly improved defense, potential All-American's in Viska and Landman, three things were gnawing at my gut.

* Far too much reliance on Laviska and Trevon McMillan. Granted, those two were making good things happen, but all to often it seemed like they were the only two skill position players the Buffs had. I didn't understand why the coaching staff was not making more of an effort to spread the ball around. Especially with such a deep and talented group of wide receivers ( at that time the injury bug had not blown up ).

* Five games into the season, and the O-Line was still completely unsettled. It wasn't like the Buffs had a core group of 4 or 5 starters and were testing some of their young potential. It was more like each week either the players, the position they played, or both were changing. We all know that an effective O-Line needs cohesion. With Spring ball, Fall camp, 3 out of conference games, a bye week, and 2 more conference games, CU still didn't know who their top 5 or 6 Offensive Linemen were, and what position they would be playing week in and week out. Building cohesion, forget it, the coaches were still evaluating players.

* Lack of a true Division 1, Power 5 group of Tight-Ends. The Buffs have ZERO threat of a Tight-End working the middle of the field. Year in and year out I am baffled at the lack of recruiting effort for that position.
Now that I have vented, I believe the Buffs will win this weekend against Utah. While I despise channel 7 for reporting a story with unnamed sources, I think in this case it might be the wake-up this team needs. I concede, HCMM should never have let the OSU game get away from the team. I will concede that a 5 game losing streak is unacceptable. CU will win this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News