ADVERTISEMENT

Five Men's Basketball Takeaways from Thursday Night

B

Brie Thomas

BOULDER-- Since conference play for Colorado Men's Basketball has started and the Buffs are off to a rough start 0-2 start, I am going to give you my five takeaways from last night's game against Arizona State.

1. Control at the Point

Derrick White has proven time and time again since he got to Colorado that he can be that elite point guard Tad Boyle needs. He shows so much control and precision when he is on the floor. Last night against Arizona State he stepped up after Xavier Johnson was ejected from the game. White showed poise in all aspects of his game, shooting, assists and rebounds. White would have 35 points, five rebounds and five assists against Arizona State.

2. Johnson to the Locker Room

Johnson was having a stellar first half for the Buffs against Arizona State, he had the Buffs first seven points of the game but was ejected from the game after a little scrum went down. This really hurt the Buffs in the second half last night, they lacked leadership and lacked a playmaker that could take control of a game and get to the basket.

3. King of Inconsistency

It has been noticed by all that George King has been struggling this season, whether it’s been his shot, his presence in rebounding or his mental toughness, it hasn't been there at all this season. He has shown spurts of what he could do, against Norte Dame and Texas but ever since then there has been nothing from King. Last night he got his first two points six minutes into the second half and would have seven rebounds. King needs to find his game again if the Buffs want any chance of succeeding this season.

4. Miss Fortunes

Just like King where has Josh Fortune been? He is only averaging 8.4 points per game and is 17-of-55 from beyond the arc. Last season Fortune averaged 10.3 points per game and was 55-of-143 from three-point range. Before conference play started Fortune was struggling to get the ball in the basket. He also has committed 21 turnovers so far on the season. Some may call him a liability on the court but Coach Boyle loves his defense.

5. Lineup Rotation

Coach Boyle is known to give guys playing time if they give a complete effort during practice and show they want to play. Last night Boyle rotated 10 different guys in, including freshmen Bryce Peters and Deleon Brown. One freshman Lucas Siewert didn't make an appearance for the first time this season. It seems to me that Boyle is trying to find his top guys off the bench and who is going to give the Buffs the best shot at winning games in the future.

qpb7muwpkiro9i8hixpq

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.