ADVERTISEMENT

FB: Cougs, Omura pioneer Director of Transfer Recruiting job

LA_Buff

Buff Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Thought this was interesting:
Josh Omura doesn’t feel like a pioneer, but he probably is.
When Nick Rolovich decided to revamp the structure of Washington State’s recruiting department and create the first-in-the-nation position of Director of Transfer Recruiting, the Cougars became the first Division I program with somebody holding that title.
For WSU, Omura is the guy.
“I’ve been told I’m technically the first person to have the title, but I don’t feel like a pioneer,” Omura told WazzuWatch. “Everybody in our department has been working with the transfer portal and trying to navigate this time. In that sense, we’re all pioneers.”
Omura’s primary job responsibility is monitoring the portal and gathering information and film on players to give to Rolovich and the position coaches.
“A guy has to be in the portal first before we even have a conversation with him,” Omura said. “We have to make sure we’re following the rules and gathering as much information as possible.”
Once the coaches have the information they need from Omura, they decide whether the player is worth pursuing.
“The process is not much different compared to a high school player,” Omura said. “Both situations we have to go through the evaluation process. The main difference for a transfer is we have other factors to consider. We try to talk to his position coach at his school and other people who know the player.
“Every situation is different and the reasons why they’re in the portal can vary,” Omura said. “There are a lot of things to consider before we offer a scholarship or an opportunity to a player in the portal.”
WSU seeks to move as quickly as possible when a player pops up in the transfer portal. In a couple of cases, the Cougars completed the information gathering process and extended an offer within a few days of the player entering the portal.
“As soon as we verify that a player is actually in the portal, we’re off and rolling,” Omura said.
Omura’s job title is an indication of how important the transfer portal has become. Without question, Rivals.com has expanded its coverage of the portal and many college football fans now follow closely the comings and goings of the portal on a daily basis.
“The transfer portal continues to grow and grow and grow,” Omura said. “Guys are using it more and more. It’s been kind of crazy to watch. There are a lot of names to go through. Many players have been sitting there for a while waiting for an opportunity.”
Prior to arriving at WSU in February, Omura worked four seasons (2017-20) as the Director of Recruiting and Operations at Hawaii, his first three years under Rolovich. Before that, he was an assistant coach at Lausanne Collegiate School in Memphis.
Omura graduated from Iolani High School in Honolulu, so working with Rolovich and the Rainbow Warriors was a homecoming for him after a decade on the mainland.
“I was informed a recruiting job at Hawaii was open, and a couple of people I played for reached out to Coach (Rolovich),” Omura said. “Coach interviewed me over the phone one day and we talked a couple more times. Before I knew it, I was headed home to Hawaii.”
After Rolovich left Hawaii in January 2020 when he was hired to succeed Mike Leach at WSU, Omura stayed one more season at Hawaii under Todd Graham to help oversee the transition.
Then Omura spoke with Rolovich again.
“(WSU) was having some movement within the recruiting department and Coach reached out to me to see if I had any interest in possibly coming up here to work for him,” Omura said. “One thing led to another and before I knew it I had my stuff packed up and was heading up to Pullman.”
Omura arrived in Pullman the first week in February right after the late signing period began.
Omura graduated from Lambuth University (Tenn.) in 2009 with a bachelor’s degree in communications and from the University of Memphis in 2013 with a master’s degree in school counseling. During that stretch, Omura coached at several high schools in the Memphis area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News