DL - What we're looking at

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
Starters:
DE - Antwine (So)
NT - Tuiloma (Sr)
DE - Johnson (Jr)

Johnson was such a surprise last year. Absolutely an All Pac 12 player and I'm glad the AP recognized him as such. One of the better linemen in the country really. Antwine had an up and down freshman year as expected for a true freshman coming into big time college football. I expect he will be worlds better next year. Really needs to get himself in on more plays though. Disappeared way too much. Tuiloma was a lot better as a junior than as a sophomore, but still was not always good. Saw him get turned around too often for my liking but his leverage was better than his sophomore year where he stood straight up. Want to see him improve a lot for his senior season because we need him to be a stud in there.

Bench:
Lang (DE) - Up and down freshman year as well. Had some good pass rushing moments and batted some balls down with his height. Next year, we need to see him turn a lot more of those into game changing plays. Need more sacks, more caused interceptions, more knock downs, and more everything. Get bigger, meaner, and stronger.

Sami (NT) - Crazy that he may have played a year ago, but honestly, glad he didn't as it preserved his redshirt. Should be ready to go for the spring and hopefully he stays healthy this time around. Looked very agile and strong in his first spring. His second one might win him the starting NT job. Really need someone with his abilities in there so the sooner they get him ready, the better for our D. I have high hopes for him and really our defense's success may depend on how fast he can get himself ready for action. A big powerful guy, but unlike our past guys, he can do things athletically the others couldn't come close to.

Finau (DE) - Seems like a really good recruit although I never really saw him in action. Hope to see him shine this spring as obviously we are going to need him to play a lot of reps. He needs a really good winter in the weight room to get to the 275-280# level they need him at to take a lot of snaps there. One to keep an eye on in the spring.

Roberts (DE) - Not sure he'll ever really play based on last year. Maybe a new regime can turn the light on but seems like he is one of the major reasons we need a JUCO this year.

Magri (DE/NT) - Walk on practice player. Could be called upon in a pinch.

Martinez (DE) - Walk on practice player.

That's literally it for returning players. Just 4 who have played plus 2 redshirt freshmen who show solid potential to be players.

Incoming:
Doss (DE) - Thank goodness we got this guy. After Lang and maybe Sami if he doesn't start, he is likely next off the bench at this point. Will be here in the winter and not a day too soon. The quicker he can get himself acclimated and into the weight room, the better.

Williams (NT) - Seems like a good future NT candidate. Has the size to be a man in there. A redshirt is almost certain to get his body ready for division I football.

Rodman (NT/DE) - Good player who will also need a redshirt to get himself ready.

Other players like Darius Robinson could be in the mix if he signs. Would he be ready to play next year? Maybe in certain situations.

DE - Antwine (So), Doss (Jr), Finau (Fr), Rodman* (Fr)
NT - Tuiloma (Sr), Sami (NT), Magri (So), Williams* (Fr)
DE - Johnson (Jr), Lang (So), Roberts (Jr), Robinson* (Fr)

NT seems to be the biggest worry at the moment. Just don't have a feel yet for Tuiloma as a full time starter and Sami is coming off the injury. A freshman may have to play there but hopefully not. Could always use Johnson at NT in pass rushing situations or move Antwine to nose since he's not super disruptive at tackle and maybe move Doss or Lang up to the starters spot. Think our best bet though is to hope Lyle puts in the work and becomes a beast NT. That's the best solution for all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News