ADVERTISEMENT

Decision day on the near horizon for '21 QB Clay Millen

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
In the last few days, there has been a growing consensus that Class of 2021 signal caller Clay Millen will land at Colorado. Millen, a 6-foot-3, 191-pound recruit from Snoqualmie (Mount Si) Washington, holds offers from Oregon State, Oregon, Indiana, Florida Atlantic and UNLV.

According to Millen, Arizona and Colorado are the two finalist schools he's considering here at the 11th hour before he pulls the trigger. Currently, there are three Rivals FutureCasts in predicting Millen to commit to CU.

“I think it’s going to be pretty soon, probably down to days rather than weeks or months, so I’d say (I’ll commit) pretty soon," Millen said.

There is notable familial precedent within the Millen clan at the quarterback position. His father, Hugh, played in the NFL from 1987-1996 and backed up John Elway with the Denver Broncos in 1994-95. Millen also has an older brother, Cale, who is a QB on roster at Oregon.

The Buffaloes originally offered Millen on May 26. If the Buffaloes do land him, Karl Dorrell and Danny Langsdorf will have done some pretty quick work in bringing in a centerpiece addition to CU's Class of 2021.

"I’ve been in communication with coach Langsdorf but I’ve also been talking to coach (Darrin) Chiaverini. I’ve had phone conversations with Karl Dorrell — there’s multiple guys from the coaching staff that I’m texting with. Coach Langsdorf in particular has done a great job of showing me what (Boulder) looks like outside of campus...he’s shown me visuals and stuff and has done a great job of showing me what it’s like down at Colorado without being able to go there.”

The prospect of seeing the field earlier rather than later is undoubtedly playing a significant role in Millen's decision-making process and Colorado, with its razor thin depth chart at the quarterback position, sticks out as a destination where Millen could compete for playing time as an underclassman.

“I’ve talked with coach Langsdorf and coach Dorrell and the big thing they say is they base their offense around the quarterback, so the more he can do, the more the offense is going to run better," Millen said. "That’s a big thing they’ve pointed out and at the quarterback position, they don’t have a lot of depth there. (CU) would be a great place to possibly get early minutes and play early. That’s a big thing they’ve talked about.”

Millen has a significant amount of family living in the Boulder area, while a cousin of his currently attends CU. On top of that, the Millen family dog is named Denver, in honor of his family roots in the area.

Within Colorado's recruiting pitch to Millen has entered Dorrell, who seems to have made a pretty solid impression with Millen and his immediate family.

“First off, I think he’s a great person," Millen said. "My family like him a lot and he’s very personable and a great coach. Everything has been broken down for me — it seems like his philosophy is a recipe for success at Colorado over the next couple of years. They’re a new staff but there’s great stability there. He’s a great person and I think he’s going to have some success at Colorado. It’s great to hear what he has to say and his philosophy.”

Langsdorf in particular has played a central role within Millen's recruitment. All in all, the Buffaloes look like they're close to rounding third base and securing the services of a priority target quarterback in Millen.

“First off, (Langsdorf) thinks I’m accurate," Millen said. "He watched my film from my games and really liked what he saw. He thinks I can control and command the offense and that if the quarterback is able to possibly change plays and prove that he can lead the offense, the more latitude (the Buffs) will get.”

“He’s done a great job recruiting me. It’s been great building a connection with (CU), in particular (Langsdorf) and the rest of the coaching staff. It’s always great talking to him and catching up, not only about football but how things have been (in general).”

https://www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6635991/5d8c1bb402b1250698254ef3

FIN

...Well, it ain't over till it's over, as the saying goes, but all indications I have come across — what is public as well as whispers/rumblings point to this one being in the bag. Colorado is getting its 2021 QB sooner rather than later. To say that Millen committing to CU will open a recruiting floodgate may be a touch extreme, but it undoubtedly would provide solid momentum for HCKD and Co. Excited to see when Millen decides to pull the trigger.

Reactions: mtmiller and DBBUFF
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News