ADVERTISEMENT

Craziest January I can remember

Maximus Buff

Buff Legend
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2006
Well, here we are again, Saturday morning, filled with high hopes for a big recruiting weekend, and make no mistake about it, this is possibly the biggest recruiting weekend at CU in YEARS! The four guys in Boulder right now are all difference makers. Every one of these guys plays as a freshman and, arguably, could be among the best at their positions from day one.

Rakeem Boyd would be the best RB recruit--on paper--since, well, Darrell Scott, and though that didn't turn out well, getting Boyd away from A&M would be huge coup for this staff on many levels. You have to think Boyd could come in and challenge to be the top back from day one.

Drew Lewis is a guy who already spent time at Washington and brings the kind of tools we all long to see at LB. I wish he was a Mike, but I'll take him at OLB. This is the kind of JUCO you look for--a guy who can challenge for a starting position from day one. This guy brings Pac 12 athleticism to LB.

Juwan Winfree would immediately challenge Shay Fields as our best WR, but he's significantly taller. Here's a guy you want to see with DC coaching him, and maybe he's the missing piece to bring Webb to Boulder too. Bring in Winfree and Webb--the W/W connection--and suddenly I'm going to be very optimistic about this season.

And finally, Keanu Saleapaga, is a very exciting prospect on the defensive line, possibly the most exciting D-line prospect we've seen at CU in ten years! He's a guy who has size, athleticism, length, and could play a variety of positions.

So here we are again on a Saturday morning filled with high hopes, once again at the top of the roller coaste hill. The question is, will we once again plunge to the murky depths, or will this weekend, and frankly, the next week and a half, bring us big news in recruiting that renews our hopes in CU football? Will our staff be drinking coffee on signing day, or will it be something not reserved for closers?

Who knows, but it sure has been a whirlwind the last few weeks with the various ups and downs of this program. I can't wait to see what happens with these four guys.

I have to admit, as much as I'm concerned about some of the news about who stays and who goes as coaches, and as much as I'm concerned about at least half our class, the commitment of Ca'Ron Baham to go with Huntley, Blackmon, Julmisse, and Udoffia, along with the guys we are in on in this final week and a half really gives me hope. Hope that we could finish this cycle with a huge bang. Hope that we might actually turn this thing around. Hope that HCMM really is the man to do this.

I know some will say I'm some kind of manic split personality who can't decide if he's happy with CU football or not, but the reality is there are lots of good things going on in CU football, but some very concerning things too. So there's room for both emotions.

But I remain convinced that we are THIS close, and I do believe that Jim Leavitt's defense is going to make another big step forward this year, and that Lindgren and Chiv will find answers to bring us at least back to our 2014 level on offense, and if that happens, I honestly think we are bowl bound. Maybe I'm nuts, but then we are all probably nuts to still be on this board after the last ten years.

At any rate, it's Saturday morning on a HUGE recruiting weekend. We have four big time difference makers in Boulder. It's a beautiful sunny day and Leavitt, Tumpkin, and Chiv are in Boulder laying down the pitch.

If you can't feel at least a little good about CU's future this morning then I don't know what to tell you. Plenty of time for angst, meltdowns, and yes, @SD Buff , just plain drama later in the week if needed.

But on this Saturday morning at least, get your coffee, say a prayer, and settle down to wait for good news! I got a good feeling about this one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News