ADVERTISEMENT

Contrarian View - Extend Mac

TwiceBuff

Senior Starter
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2007
This view point isn't likely to be popular, and it sure isn't a sexy move to address fan anxiety, but I propose extending Mac's contract another 3yrs.

I believe this would accomplish several things, among them:

1. Limiting the speculation among fans, media, and most importantly Recruits, that Mac won't be here in the long term.
2. It creates a sense of stability, and gets rid of unreasonable (to some) short term metrics, allowing a coaching staff to plan several years out, rather than trying at all costs to win next year, even if that meant mortgaging the future.
3. It forces the fans to make a decision about getting behind this staff or not. If you are not, that is fine, but at least you will know what you are dealing with.
4. Creates financial stability with the AD, since it will limit the likelihood that that we have to buyout a 4th HC in the last 11 years, and then pay even a higher $ to someone else.
5. It sends a message to the coaching community that the Admin is behind you and you will have time to turn around one of the worst programs in the country over the last decade.

Now, I would approach Mac and offer this extension with some caveats. And these could be minimum performance clauses that allow the Admin to make a move if Mac loses the team, or if competitiveness and performance drop considerably...could even include clauses about assistant coaches, whathaveyou.

Still, as disappointed as I am (and I am hugely disappointed in this season, especially the Hawaii loss that I traveled to), I think Mac has earned this and there is precedent for this kind of action. I believe CU extended Mac V1 after his 3rd yr as well. I think maybe Mizzou did the same with Pinkel.

I was talking with a friend about comparing Sonny Dykes "turnaround" effort at Cal to what CU faced. In the 4 years prior to Dykes taking over, Cal had 32 4 & 5 star recruits. CU had 6, of which 3 never made it on campus. Dykes inherited a top 10 national QB. So, not a fair comparison. I think the job Mac inherited was one of the toughest any HC has taken on in a power 5 conference in the last 25 years, or more.

Bottom line, for me, is that Mac has brought integrity, competitiveness and depth back to CU. He seems like a really good representative for CU and the Boulder community, and I am optimistic that he has the program headed in the right direction. Giving him an extension, with caveats, acknowledges the non W/L aspects he has accomplished, and would bring the stability and support he will continue to need to finish the job. My 2 cents, unasked for..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News