ADVERTISEMENT

BuffStampede Bits: Neinas dismissed, Hawkins update

Adam Munsterteiger

Folsom Field King
Aug 5, 2003
Superior, CO
www.buffstampede.com
1441375.jpg

After serving as the Buffs' special teams coordinator for three seasons, Toby Neinas was let go on Sunday, Dec. 6, the same day Dave Forman was fired as strength and conditioning coach. This has been confirmed with numerous sources. The Buffs had six kicks blocked this past season ranking tied for last out of 127 FBS programs and the kicker Neinas recruited to Boulder ranked last in the Pac-12 in field-goal percentage by a wide margin. Colorado ranked tied for 81st nationally in special teams efficiency according to ESPN.

Side note - I will say Neinas is one of the nicest people to come through Boulder since I started covering the program in 2003. He continued to show his selfless nature after he was let go. Neinas asked to stay around to help recruit Tayler Hawkins since he was the lead recruiter there and Hawkins was scheduled to take an official visit to CU. So he was around the Champions Center until the end of this past weekend when Hawkins' visit was done. Best of luck to Neinas at his next stop.

I'm told there will not be a full-time special teams coordinator going forward. A coach will likely have the special teams coordinator title, but the responsibilities of coaching special teams will be split up among the assistants.

I spoke to top 100 California recruit Tayler Hawkins this evening and after talking it over with his family, he has decided not to make a commitment quite yet. Cornerbacks coach Charles Clark is now his lead recruiter from the Buffs' staff and the two spoke yesterday. Hawkins said Colorado is still his favorite but he wants to take an official visit to Washington State on Jan. 15 before making a commitment. He also has trips lined up with San Diego State and Fresno State for later in January but he admitted he will likely make his decision before taking those trips. I'll have up a front page update with more on Hawkins tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News