ADVERTISEMENT

BDC Article - Sideline help thoughts

stealthbuff

Senior Starter
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2016
I was heartened to see a candid and sober take on the Saturday game from the Daily Camera. Our coaches performed at a d- level on offense and by the head coach and at a c level for defense IMO. We looked way over our head strategically in that game and i wonder if we should have hired a "bench coach" as our new assistant last year or make room for one going forward. Baseball managers lean on a bench coach to be thinking ahead, strategizing matchups both for hitters and pitchers. This takes a little pressure off the split second decisions for the manager as someone, who is kind of a wise old baseball dude, has the sole job of managing those issues.

Football has never used a bench coach approach leaving those decisions to the head Coach. With all the critcal decisions that come into play in the last seconds of a half and game and our seeming to have challenges managing those situations, maybe one of our coaches should be the game day "bench coach"? I know this will be a tough swallow for coaches that believe they dont need any help, but our repeated failures in these situations says otherwise. One guy on game day gets assigned the responsibility of managing the sideline and thinking about critical decsions that are shortly forthcoming. HAving quick discussions in advance to keep the HC apprised of potential options and then the HC can make the decision not wondering what he did or didnt think about.

With the whole staff available it seems we should have a sage football guru that could handle the role on game day.

Heres the BDC article.
http://www.buffzone.com/columnists/ci_32206440/rooney-passive-and-predictable-cu-buffs-dire-need

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News