ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement to watch tonight at 6:30 p.m. MST

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
I have reason to believe that some good news is just around the corner for Colorado, as 2022 ATH Kenny Soares, a 5.7RR prospect ranked as the No. 1 overall recruit in his home state of Connecticut plans to announce a pledge at 6:30 MT tonight.

Soares, recruited by Colorado as an ILB, has had quite the interesting high school career. To summarize, he's enjoyed something of a nomadic existence this last year or so, struggling to play out the rest of his high school career due to COVID.

An Avon, Connecticut native, he recently transferred from Avon Old Farms High to a program in New Jersey called St. Peter's Prep, where he played a condensed junior season. The transfer decision he made because Avon Old Farms cancelled their football season pretty early on and he didn't want to take that sort of a hit on the recruiting trail that comes with the territory of not playing an upperclassman year.

Thus, he went down to St. Peter's Prep in Jersey City but has since transferred back to Avon Old Farms.

Don't ask me how he's managed to make all this happen on the note of transfer rules and whatnot — I frankly have no idea how he's cut through that red tape.

But I hear he's been pretty under recruited because of aforementioned reasons. Still, Central Michigan, Indiana, Maryland and Navy were among those that did.

He was offered by Colorado at the end of July and has earned consistent high marks from Adam Friedman, Rivals' recruiting analyst out on the East Coast.

Friedman described him as a Swiss Army Knife back at a camp in May:

Soares is one of the most interesting prospects in the northeast's 2022 recruiting class. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound athlete can play running back, tight end, H-back, or linebacker.

On Sunday Soares focused on linebacker and ended up winning the MVP award because of his impressive combination of athleticism and ball skills, but he also took one on one reps at running back. Soares won those reps, too.

Versatile kid, no doubt. Would be a very nice addition to the fold and the first recruiting win for Mark Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News