ADVERTISEMENT

After game thoughts

Scavenger

Folsom Field King
Jul 23, 2002
After thinking about this, it went about what I was expecting, just a little bit worse due to some crazy decisions.
  • Don't start a freshman CB in his first start against the 1 WR that burned you the last year.
  • If you want to win a game like this, you MUST run Montez

Other than that, the unfortunate situation of losing Franke (this really was big as it killed our inside pass rush), then McMillian getting hurt and being ineffective after that point, and of course Viska getting injured early and not having the same ability to pressure a defense. We can't lose 2 of our only 3 weapons on offense and expect to win.

Our issues:

- Like I've said, this IS our offense. We weren't going to suddenly see all this new stuff we've been waiting for. Put 2 WRs out + a TE and make then block for your 3rd WR, Viska on short passes behind the LOS. This works until they can't block them which is what happened against USC. None of those guys held their blocks besides Ento. McIntyre got blown up on almost every block (he's about a buck 70, sheesh). This is 80% of the offense. Like I asked, what happens when the other team can stop this? Well, we found out. We can't do anything.

- Young OL. Man, playing at times 3 freshmen on the OL is absolutely no match against a team like USC. I've noticed since the Nebraska game that Sherman gets beat on the inside move and he did all night. Gustin figured that out in film study unfortunately and took him inside all night. Sherman has super quick feet and long arms so he has become very good at the outside rush. Unfortunately, he lacks the technique for the inside rush as he sets up outside to beat the player outside, but gives up the inside every time. Teams are going to do this for the rest of the year until we improve his technique or go ahead and switch he and Kaiser. Pursell has actually gotten a lot better but is still not strong enough to hold the bull rush back. Man, it is what it is, but that was tough to watch. By the way, terrible call on Sherman's holding. I knew they were going to call it though because he finished off the play by putting Gustin on the ground. Gustin went wide and Sherman was ready for him like he always is on those wide rushes. He shoved him 5 yards beyond Montez, but then made the mistake of piling on him when Gustin went to the ground and the ref threw the flag. Was a big completion too and sadly, the ball was thrown well before he took him to the ground.

- I do understand why coaches aren't running Montez. Fact is, we start running Montez we're going to get him so beat up he won't be effective at year's end when we need to win those big games against teams we actually CAN beat like WSU, Utah, and Cal. It would suck to lose those games because Montez is hurt. We absolutely can't use him like Sefo. There's no Montez behind Montez like there was when we had Sefo. Plus, we could hurt his future and the QB coach obviously doesn't want to do that.

- We've totally screwed up Blackmon. Before, he caught everything and tried to return it, but at least he caught it. Now he sits back and anything that isn't directly under him, he lets go and we lose tons of yards. I would rather go back to letting him catch it than making him try to figure out whether he should. His decision making is terrible. Just go with something and stick with it. If he catches a few behind the 10 yard line, then so be it! That worked better than what he's doing now.

- The other WRs were totally lost... especially Jackson. Sheesh, he might have run the wrong route all but twice. He ran into other receivers on the field like a half dozen times and the plays failed. I can see why he's not playing. You have to know what to do and he clearly does not. Tony Brown is a year away from being the guy which sucks since we need another now.

Going forward:

- Let's just get Winfree healthy. This offense isn't going anywhere without him. We run 4 out in a pattern but throw it 80% of the time to 1 guy and the opposition has figured it out. Let's just get Winfree in there so we can have a multiple attack. It's clear the WR coach doesn't trust the other guys at all. Juwann's injuries unfortunately are why we won't return to the Pac 12 championship game. This was his game to shine and he couldn't even make it. Pretty dang disappointing. We aren't going to spread it around otherwise because that's not our offense.

- Let's try to get Fontenot some reps at RB. We just need another explosive player there and every team in the league has a freshman backup somewhere. It's OK if he's not 100% ready, but we really do need his explosiveness. Just take a chance for once fellas. Come on Darian. Get him out there and let's see what he can do. We absolutely have to get more explosive on offense and he's a guy who brings that. Try him!

- Continue to get Miller more reps, but let's not throw him to the dogs. Like I said a week ago, Wigley has been solid, just lacks the athleticism to finish the play against a super stud WR. He would have given up a TD, but not 2 like Miller. He would have stopped a couple of other big pass plays as well where Miller was just lost. Miller is the better prospect though and needs the reps... just not in situations that can kill us.

- We'll be fine after these two awful weeks. We will get healthy against Oregon State, then travel to Arizona for what is likely to be Tate's return and hopefully hold up there. Then come home for the 3 game stretch that will define our entire season. I honestly do believe we'll be 7-2 at that point. How we finish will determine our path going forward. Finish strong and recruiting takes off for 2020 and beyond. Finish weak and it's more of the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News