ADVERTISEMENT

A few pertinent comments by Karl Dorrell from his Pac-12 Network signing day appearance

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Karl Dorrell was the first Pac-12 coach to go on this morning with Pac-12 Network hosts Yogi Roth and Guy Haberman to discuss the Buffs' signing day. Quickly: I believe this is it for today in terms of signings. No surprises looming on the horizon, from what I understand. @dtownbuff I saw you asked that a bit earlier this morning, so just wanted to note that here.

Below is a transcription of some of his notable comments:

Yogi Roth: Colorado’s approach regarding scholarships: maximize them now or save some for the immediate future?

Karl Dorrell: “It’s probably a little of both. We had a number of guys that left for new opportunities in some other places and we replaced most of those guys, but not all of them. We feel that there’s still going to be some attrition going on even later on in the spring. The portal is very active, as you guys all know, so we do hope there will be a second wave before the end of spring semester. So, we do have a few (scholarships) that are kind of in our pocket right now, to kind of wait and see.”

Guy Haberman: Was there a different approach between the first signing day vs. second signing day in terms of players pursued and in general?

Karl Dorrell: “Most of the first signing period was our high school guys that were committed to us since the summer or since the (2021) season. The second phase was to isolate and find some more high school guys that fit our footprint with what we need in our program, (and) we were able to do that. We also went through the junior college ranks and picked up a couple pieces, as well. And then also the portal. We’re looking at all three. Particularly with the second signing day, now that that’s finished, our game plan was to comb through the high school (ranks) one more time, and also, you’re getting your offers ready for the 2023 class, so you’re still (focusing) on high school. And then we tried to transition and check out a few more junior colleges to see if there’s some guys out there that might help us from that standpoint.”

Yogi Roth: New additions from the portal: RJ Sneed and Tommy Brown?

Karl Dorrell: “I think both of those guys will be impact players. RJ has a lot of production at (Baylor). He was looking for a nice new system to continue his development…I think he’s going to be an impact player right away. He’s here — and the same thing with Tommy Brown. Tommy Brown’s going to really help us from an offensive lineman depth standpoint. We do think he’s going to be one of those guys who can start for us right away.”

Dorrell also briefly noted that JT Shrout will be "close to full health when spring ball starts. He's now part of the equation again."

Dorrell has a full press conference today in Boulder at noon, followed by all the new assistants. I think they'll speak for about 15 minutes each, so I'll have much more to relay to everyone later this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News