ADVERTISEMENT

2-time state champ Chase Penry reflects on high school career, prepares to sign NLI

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
With Cherry Creek's win over Valor Christian in this past weekend's CHSAA Class 5A state title game, Bruins wide receiver and Colorado commit Chase Penry will begin his college career with a level of preps success few enjoy.

Penry played in three state title games with the Bruins, winning back-to-back championships as a junior and senior and contributing significantly to the effort in both campaigns.

In 2019, he hauled in 53 passes for 632 yards and nine scores while this past fall, he put up near identical numbers, catching 45 passes for 648 yards and eight touchdowns.

All in all, with his two championship rings, last Saturday Penry wrapped a pretty solid high school career.

“Everyone always says the first one’s always the sweetest but I think this second one was just as sweet just because of COVID and the pandemic," he said. "We were told we weren't going to play, then we were, then we weren’t and then we were back on, so it was kind of a rollercoaster. To get a season and go out and play the way we did and finish the season off in the manner in which we did was a picture perfect way.”

Now, Penry can begin to hone in officially on joining Colorado this upcoming summer. The final step for him to take in making that happen is putting pen to paper, which he plans to do the morning of Dec. 16 and sign early with the Buffaloes.

Buffs fans will remember that Penry originally committed in January, back when Mel Tucker was still head coach at CU. Then, a few weeks later, after the Buffs had just signed their 2020 class, Tucker was gone, taking the vacant head coaching position at Michigan State.

If that wasn't discouraging enough, shortly thereafter, the COVID pandemic was thrust upon us all, prompting shutdowns, social distancing and from a recruiting point of view, no in-person contact between coaches and players.

That certainly was inconvenient for Penry, who had hoped to get a feel for the newly-hired Karl Dorrell.

While Dorrell got settled in Boulder and adjusted to the hand of cards dealt to him, Penry's strong bond with his primary recruiter, Darrin Chiaverini, helped keep him on board with the Buffs. Dorrell's quick decision to retain Chiaverini on his inaugural coaching staff also was important to Penry.

“It was definitely a crazy time committing and then a couple weeks later coach Tucker left," Penry said. "The biggest thing for me was my relationship with coach Chiaverini. That was probably the main reason I committed to Colorado as early as I did. I think my biggest thing was following coach Chiaverini and what was going to happen with him. Him likely staying was really huge for me.”

When Dorrell was able to get in touch with Penry for the first time, it was to relay some good news.

"Soon after he got the head coaching job, he gave me a call and told me that my offer was still there and that he still wanted me," Penry said. "It was really huge for me to hear and I was really excited about that.”

Still, the months of February through May had Penry keeping all options open, while never walking back from his verbal commitment made in late January.

Other programs came knocking at the door, which Penry politely received, but in the end, he felt Colorado was the best fit for him.

“In those months, I think other schools saw that and thought I might be more attractive to them," he said. "I heard what they had to say, but in the end my heart was in Boulder. That’s where I want to be.”

Penry is the longest committed prospect the Buffs have in their 2021 class. Since he reaffirmed his pledge late in the spring, he's enjoyed keeping a tab on who else will be joining him in Boulder next year.

“I think it’s a great class," he said. "I think the coaching staff has done a great job this year. Being unable to meet kids face to face, I think they’ve been able to evaluate talent really well and get some really solid players. I’ve been in contact with a lot of them. Erik (Olsen) — we’re really close. He wished me good luck before the (state title) game and I’d do the same for him. I’m looking forward to building those relationships with Drew Carter and the rest of the class.”

FIN

I still continue to believe that Penry, despite his recent recruiting bump, continues to be one of the more underrated guys Colorado has coming in for the 2021 class. I also think he's become even more explosive of a player since he originally committed to CU earlier this year.

He'll be a good guy to insert into the WRs room. Definitely strikes me as a player who is fully capable of seeing the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News