ADVERTISEMENT

Warning: Kind of depressing

Adam Munsterteiger

Folsom Field King
Aug 5, 2003
Superior, CO
www.buffstampede.com
I debated whether or not to post this, since it is just dredging up stuff from the Dan Hawkins era, but I was curious so I looked at the top ranked running back prospect from each recruiting cycle between 2003-14 to see just how unlucky the Buffs were with the lack of production they got out of Darrell Scott. Running back always seems to be one of the easiest position to project in terms of rankings, and sure enough, most of the No. 1 backs turned out to be studs. Scott easily the biggest bust. The celebration over his signing was warranted given how most top-ranked backs turn out.

2003 - Reggie Bush (USC): Two-time consensus All-American; Super Bowl Champion

2004 - Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma): Unanimous All-American; NFL MVP

2005 - Jonathan Stewart (Oregon): First-team all-Pac-10, 7-year NFL veteran

2006 - Chris Wells (Ohio State): All-Big Ten, first round draft pick

2008 - Darrell Scott (Colorado): Only averaged 417 yards in three seasons, two at CU and one at South Florida before declaring early for the NFL Draft; signed as free agent but quickly cut by the Cowboys

2009 - Bryce Brown (Tennessee): Rocky college career due to off-the-field issues, but loads of talent and still an active player in the NFL

2010 - Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina): First-team all-SEC before injuring knee

2011 - Malcolm Brown (Texas): Top 10 rusher in Texas history, named second-team all-Big 12 both as a junior and senior

2012 - Johnathan Gray (Texas): Rushed for 2,118 yards in three seasons as Brown's back-up... solid 4.7 career yards per carry average.

2013 - Derrick Green (Michigan): Averaged an impressive 5.7 yards per carry as a sophomore and started all seven games before getting sidelined with an injury

2014 - Leonard Fournette (LSU): Rushed for 1,034 yards and showed a lot of potential as a true freshman; as long as he stays healthy will be All-American candidate and NFL Draft pick.

This post was edited on 3/9 9:59 PM by Adam Munsterteiger

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News